Feathers growing in oddly

Lilalienangel

Songster
Aug 28, 2019
So these chicks are 4 weeks and. They are being raised by a broody. All seems well. They are active and seem healthy. The feathers are growing in oddly. The mother is a bantam and these are standard size chicks. 4 weeks old a swedish flower hen and 2 silverudds. She has 3 but only the 2 Silverudds are having odd feather growth. The smoke from fires has made it cooler than usual for the season. Is this caused by that. I also have some I am raising in the brooder they seem normal. Should I take one of the babies so she can keep them warmer? If better pictures are needed I'll catch them to get better pics. Thank you
20200920_102157-1.jpg
20200920_102722.jpg
20200920_102252.jpg
20200920_102244.jpg

It is really hard to tell from the pictures what is going on. Is it that the features aren't growing in in places? Or they are ragged looking? If they aren't growing in in places, then that is normal for chicks. Just wait and the features will grow in, you can also spray Vetrycin on the bald spots to promote feature growth. Good luck, Avery

No bald spots. They just seem to be growing in cockeyed. Poking out rather than being smooth. They are growing out similar in spots to fizzles but they have no frizzle genes.. I'll try to get some better pictures asap.

Sorry it took a bit to get back. I figured out my problem. Northern fowl mites. I've been treating that. I guess the question now is there anything to supplement to help restore the nutrition the bloodsuckers took?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom