Feathers growing under apron. Should I be doing something more?

Attila the Hen

Crowing
11 Years
Nov 6, 2010
Blue Ridge GA
Two of my hens need aprons because of the rooster. One doesn't seem able to keep the apron on (I'll try another later), but I looked under the apron of the one who has it on and it looks like the feathers are growing back. Should I be increasing protein in this case or removing the apron so the new feathers get aired? These are probably stupid questions. I really need a few more hens and will do so in the spring.

Quote:
I'd leave the apron on. It appears to be doing it's job protecting her back. If you remove it, those new feathers are gonna get pulled off. They don't really need air, but you could take the apron off just for a little bit when the roo isn't able to get to her so she can preen them to remove the white coating.

The only time I have ever seen ingrown feathers was on one of my birds who wore an apron for an extended period of time. I don't know if the two things were related because I had another girl who also wore an apron for long periods and she never got those ingrown feathers. I would give your girl a chance to have some time apron-less when the roo can't bother her.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom