Feathers missing on rooster

dutchchickenss

In the Brooder
Jan 5, 2016
Hello, I have a rooster that has many feathers broken off and bald spots all over him. We were treating my whole flock for lice with DE and poultry dust. We now see no signs of lice or eggs. We have also put him on feather fixer for a few weeks and his feathers are still not growing back. In some of the areas where he is bald his skin looks very red and irritated. We have another rooster living with him and the rooster has his feathers all grown back and seems to be okay. Does he still have lice?

Last edited:
When feathers grow back they are very attractive to other chickens to peck at. I would make sure they are getting a little extra protein in their diet, but you can use BluKote spray or Nustock cream on the bare spots every couple of days until the feathers grow in. When there is a heavy loss of feathers, they sometimes won't grow in until the next big molt. But you should be able to tell if feathers are starting to come in, and then they disappear mysteriously. That is from pecking.

When feathers grow back they are very attractive to other chickens to peck at. I would make sure they are getting a little extra protein in their diet, but you can use BluKote spray or Nustock cream on the bare spots every couple of days until the feathers grow in. When there is a heavy loss of feathers, they sometimes won't grow in until the next big molt. But you should be able to tell if feathers are starting to come in, and then they disappear mysteriously. That is from pecking.

Okay, thank you for replying. I see our other rooster attacking him sometimes, but it ends pretty quickly. We are giving the other rooster away today so hopefully that's all it is.

Back
Top Bottom