Feathers not growing back, and now not laying!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by *pixietrix*, Jun 24, 2011.

1. *pixietrix*

*pixietrix* New Egg

Mar 21, 2010
    My overly aggressive roosters really did a number on my hens this summer, causing them to lose all the feathers on their backs. This spring we separated the roosters, got rid of the most dominant one, and they no longer have any contact with the hens. The remaining roosters who were also getting beat up on by the aggressive rooster now look just beautiful. Even after separating the hens, their appearance did not approve. I had read that maybe now the hens themselves were pulling out the feathers as they came back in, so we put saddles on all the hens. The saddles have been on for about a month, and still no improvement. Their skin is no longer red and irritated though. Now, to top it all off, our egg production has dropped by about half in the past month as well.

What could possibly be going on?

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    They sound as though they are out of condition. Have they been wormed recently?Also change and stress can reduce egg laying.

Try upping their protein intake and give them poultry spice, apple cider vinegar etc.
    Usually it sorts itself out with these changes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by