Feathers on bottom...permanently gone :(

Chickerdee

Hatching
Mar 18, 2015
Morden, Manitoba
Hello fellow chicken lovers... I would love some advice / assurance if anyone can give it.
I have three hens obtained from poultry auction 7 months ago. One of the hens had no feathers on her bottom. I assumed she was bring picked on by her previous flock and that's why she ended up in the auction... I did lots of research and have done all I can to help feather regrowth, extra protein, Avia Charge, mite treatment, worm treatment etc. But nothing has helped. She is otherwise healthy, lots of feathers on the rest of her body but no egg laying either... I bought myself a free-loader :D. The skin on her bottom is exposed all the time and I feel sorry for her in the cold. They are in a slightly warmed shed for winter due to icy Manitoba winter. Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Has she gone through a full molt yet? The feathers on the bottom (and any other missing ones) should grow back in after a full molt. Most hens will do that once a year, usually in the fall, but some chickens don't look at the calendar.

X 2. They should grow back in after her first big molt at 16-18 months old. I have a hen who always has poop that dries around her vent, and her feathers get bare. She just molted and the feathers grew back in, and she has clumps of poop there again. Every so often I have to clean her off and clip feathers. The droppings tend to scald the skin there.

Thanks for the thoughts... she's not undergone a full moult since she's been with me, I don't even know how old she is. I'll just keep looking after her and supplementing her feed with protein and all the right goodies to produce feather growth. Poor girl.

Back
Top Bottom