feathers on chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by joannamarie, Jul 4, 2007.

1. joannamarie

joannamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2007
    does anyone know if the feathers on my 2 week old chicks will be the same colour when they get older.
    they are cross rir/light sussex the wing feathers coming through are a browny red but i have seen other crosses of the same as i have and they have been lighter a orangey brown

2. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    They will molt approximately three times before they turn a year old, and you will probably see some feather color changes too.

"Spot" my OEGB hen was white with one black spot on her head as a chick. By one year she was black mottled (black with white spots all over).

They sometimes change color as adults too. Two of my mutt hens were white with black streaks at a year. After their first adult molt they are a beautiful white and silver doubled laced.

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Mine are 12 weeks old and the buff orpingtons are similar but the rest look NOTHING like they did. I cannot believe how much they change.

4. joannamarie

Jun 17, 2007
    thats a shame i love the deep brown/ red on there wings but seeing as they are rir cross they probably will end up orangey/ brown they are growing so fast its unbelievable only 2 weeks and 1 day

5. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    i have been wondering about this too. I seem to find quite a few feathers around the run and in the coop. Is it pretty common to find feathers from chicks around like that? Some are about 3 weeks, they are in a seperate coop but I let them all in the run together because they have plenty of places to hide and they seem to be fine together except at feeding time. So I feed them in the coop seperately. The others are between 8-10 weeks old. They don't have bald spots or anything, so I assume it is normal.
    It does seem that my Salmon Faverolles are a bit differenty color than I see in the photos of adults. So I assume they will change over time.

Marie

6. joannamarie

Jun 17, 2007
    i dont know if its normal for 3 week old chicks to loose any feathers. mine are 2 weeks and they havnt the mother hen is constantly moulting though, if there is no bould spots i wouldnt worry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by