Feathers on coop floor

Sep 27, 2019
Massachusetts
For a couple of weeks, I've been finding feathers in the pine shavings in the coop. Some days just 1 or 2, but today there were at least a dozen. My four chicks are 9 weeks old.

I'm wondering if it's from when they roost next to their Cozy Coop radiant heater. It's basically a flat wall mounted heater that warms up like a heating pad but doesn't heat the coop, just the area in front of it. My chicks roost next to it (2 of them at a time can be in direct contact with it), and most of the feathers seem to be on that side of the coop. Could it be burning feathers off of them? Is some feather loss normal in growing chicks? The feathers are usually small, except this morning many were quite large. The temperature was also below zero last night, the first unbearably cold night for them.

Thanks for any feedback!

For a couple of weeks, I've been finding feathers in the pine shavings in the coop. Some days just 1 or 2, but today there were at least a dozen. My four chicks are 9 weeks old.

I'm wondering if it's from when they roost next to their Cozy Coop radiant heater. It's basically a flat wall mounted heater that warms up like a heating pad but doesn't heat the coop, just the area in front of it. My chicks roost next to it (2 of them at a time can be in direct contact with it), and most of the feathers seem to be on that side of the coop. Could it be burning feathers off of them? Is some feather loss normal in growing chicks? The feathers are usually small, except this morning many were quite large. The temperature was also below zero last night, the first unbearably cold night for them.

Thanks for any feedback!
I had 3 Rhode Island Reds that would be next to that heater for years and they never lost any feathers. Are they molting?

It is possible, in addition to molt, that pecking order is getting established. Pecking order issues often arise around roost position and space. And there is a lovely heater to want to be in front of! So, those girls are just figuring out all that too. When they go through a full molt then you’ll see a whole lotta feathers!

Back
Top Bottom