feathers on hens back are missing??

bassfishrman

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 16, 2007
The feathers on the back of one of my auracanas is missing. She has a bald spot right where her back feathers meet her tail feathers.

Is there anything wrong with her? I thought it might be where my rooster mounts her with his feet, but none of my other hens look like this.

I have a few hens that look like that - and a few with broken tail feathers - but I have one poor hen that looks worse than rest - she is the roosters fav girl LOL

your girl might just be the one he likes best

Julie

I must have a gentle rooster, none of my hens have missing feathers, and I know he's breeding. He's Americauna, and I hatched a red sexlink egg, it's the cutest chick.

IMG_0164-1.jpg

IMG_0163-1.jpg

You have a rooster who is not being a gentleman, and she is his favorite girl. Keep a close eye on her now that the feathers are gone - a roo can rip right through the skin if he is too aggressive.
If it continues she may have to wear a little apron/saddle to protect her. There are several folks on here who make and sell them.

Quote:
that is so true,I had some of my young pullets out today and the bigger chickens were way in back,I ran in the house for a minute and came back out and one of the big roos had a pullet by the neck and tore the skin almost all the way around,poor girl dont know if she is going to make it, makes me so mad,all my fault I shouldnt have taken my eyes off them

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom