1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feathers on legs/feet

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by orchard17, Jun 15, 2009.

1. orchard17

orchard17 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    Currently have 6 chicks that were hatched out at my daughter's pre-school. They are about 12 days old. Just realized that 2 of them have feathered legs/feet. They look identical to the other 4 except for this. I'm pretty sure they are barred rock. What's with the feathering?

2. cheraboo

cheraboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Michigan
    There are feather legged chickens .... I just love 'em! How many toes to they have?

3. RasMama

RasMama Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2009
    Spokane, WA
    I think it means they're cochins. I could easily be wrong though [​IMG]

4. orchard17

May 25, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    I'll check again when I get home, but im almost positive they have 4 like the others.

5. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    I have 5 different breeds, all featherlegged. My wife freaks out over chicken legs and feet so this was my solution. Now she loves them and wants to pick out our next order. At first she didn't even want me to get chickens. Now she loves to go sit with them in the evenings and they climb all over her. Good Luck and welcome to BYC

6. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    One of my Buff Orpingtons is a feather footed Bantam! I wish I had gotten more than just the one! I love her!

7. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Quote:There are many other breeds of chickens with feathered feet besides cochins.

Salmon Favorelles
    Silkies
    Cochins
    D'Uccles
    D'Anvers
    Langshan
    Some Cuckoo Marans
    And MANNYYY more!

They could very well be cochins though, but it is not limited to that.

8. orchard17

May 25, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    they are dark grey with a white spot on their heads. they look a lot like my older barred rocks did so I just assumed they were BR too. are there other breeds that look like this as chicks? and are they definitely bantam or can standards have feathered feet also? thanks for the help.

9. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    sounds a little like my lt. brahmas did when they were little. Yes all mine are standards with feathered feet. My Salmon Favorelles also have an extra toe.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by