Feathers on My hen getting messed up by Roo *Updated with PICS*

countrygirl911

Songster
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
Mississippi
Hi everyone i have 17 hens and one roo who seems to like this one hen way to much he is messing up some her back feathers and i am afraid that one day he is going to really hurt her once she loses the feathers in this one spot on her back i plan to give the ROO away after Easter so that i can donate fertilized eggs to my daughters school class but what can i do to protect this hen i have ordered a hen saddle but it will be a few days to a week before it gets here. Other than that everyone is happy and healthy they know when to go in and roost for the night and have no problems with that i go out at night to lock them up for safety and they are already inside getting ready for bed. I believe i have some very good chickens except for the ROO any suggestions would be greatly appreciated here are 2 pictures of my BR that i am talking about

60848_100_6042.jpg

60848_100_6047.jpg

these were taken right before Christmas now it has gotten a little worse

Last edited:
I don't know how badly your hen's feathers are damaged, but I have 9 hens and 1 roo. They have gotten especially ratty here with the rain this winter. My rooster isn't too aggressive with them, but this time of year it's super easy to tell which hens are his favorites. lol Just thought I'd throw it out there that the damage might also have something to do with the weather and not only the rooster.

not much you can do unless you want to take her out of there till the saddle comes in.
They work great and you will love it.
I started with 2 and I keep getting more of them.
Best of luck to you and your hen.

I have one little bantam hen that was just as wanton:bun as the roo was giving! Her back and side had gotten bare and bloody. My hubby put triple antibiotic on her every day for a few weeks, she healed beautifully, now has her feathers grown back in completely.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom