Feathers stuck in clumps HELP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by perlover48, Jul 24, 2016.

1. perlover48

perlover48 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    My few day old mottled cochin bantam fell into the water feeder. (I wasnt there when it happened) I know this because her breast fluff and underside wont fluff back up. It is conpletely dry but its just in clumps. Idk if this is bad for her health or not. It looks really wierd and I dont want her to be unconfortable. Is there any way to have it fluff up again.

Btw this happened yesterday so I thought id leave it a day and still not fluffy.

2. Ghull00

Ghull00 Just Hatched

Jul 24, 2016
    Lincoln, UK
    From my own experience, the chicks feather/fluff formation will naturally reshape so I guess it will be the same for yours! :) As long as its dry, it will be fine. perhaps put the drinker on something to stop it happening again? Hope this helps....GHULL

3. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    It would only get fluffy is mama hen preened it back into fluffiness for the chick...they don't really do self-grooming much at that age. As long as the brooder is warm, it's just a cosmetic issue for now.

4. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    If you want you can preen the chick yourself. This way the chick looks good again. Otherwise just leave it alone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by