feathers ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cajunlizz, Apr 28, 2008.

1. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    How soon do baby chicks have all their feathers ? Because these are about 2 weeks all and we bought them and they seemed to have ALL their feathers , BUT , THEY ARE REALLY producing ALOT more feathers in the last week . [​IMG]

ALSO , can I mix baby chicks that are about 2 or 3 weeks old with a different breed of chicks in the same cage ?

Last week hubby bought 15 baby Rhode Island Reds , and arrived today with more of a different breed . These new ones are maybe a week older than the first 15 . Should they do ok all together or should we separare the breeds ?

REPLY here are you can e-mail me at [email protected]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    They should have all their feathers by around 8 weeks old.

3. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    I mix in my chicks as long as there is no danger in the older ones sqwashing the younger ones, At one week apart....I toss em in...[​IMG]

I just placed my 4 week olds with my 7 week olds...after having them seperated by mesh for a week. Big difference in size but the lil ones are holding their own. I would gues with only one week apart you should not have any problems.

With Several weeks apart, you just want to also make sure the older ones don't dominate the younger ones, and so you may want to toss in an extra food and waterer too. (just in case you keep adding new babies)- [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by