Feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HCFarms96, Jan 4, 2012.

1. HCFarms96

HCFarms96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    One of my chickens {Sienna} is almost finished molting and the rest of the girls are just starting. Almost all of Sienna's feathers are back in, but I noticed that they lack the sheen they used to have and the others who haven't molted yet still have. Is there a reason for this or does it always happen? Is there something I can give her {something protein or something} to make them healthier looking?

Thanks

2. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    I add Ultra Egg to our chickens' feed whenever one of them is molting. It makes their feathers come in nice and shiny. I don't add it all the time, my hens eat a well balanced diet and they are on grass and forage every day, so I don't worry about my eggs being healthy. You could probably add some sunflower oil to their food too.

http://www.omegafields.com/poultry-products/omega-ultra-egg.html Copy and paste to see it, they sell it at Southern States.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Since they're not laying eggs then and feathers are something like 97% protein, I switch to a 20-24% grower till their feathers look good and start laying, then switch back to layer.

4. HCFarms96

Aug 19, 2011
    Ok, but what can I do now that her feathers are already in?

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The added protein will still help her recover from molting even after her feathers are in.
    I continue the added protein a few weeks longer to make sure they've recovered.

6. HCFarms96

Aug 19, 2011
    Thank you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by