Feathers

andrew3waz

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 21, 2013
Hey BYC,

At what age do chicks get fully feathered? Is that the time you put your chicks in the coop and allow them to go out side or should they go out sooner?

Thanks,
andrew3waz

Hey BYC,

At what age do chicks get fully feathered? Is that the time you put your chicks in the coop and allow them to go out side or should they go out sooner?

Thanks,
andrew3waz
Im not a chicken expert, but my chicks were fully feathered at 2 months and full grown at 4 months. They started laying about 22 weeks.

I used an old cardboard freezer box as my brooder and they outgrew it in 8 weeks. I moved them into the henhouse even though it was not finished yet and had no pop door. That was okay because I wasn't comfortable with them being outside all day at 8 weeks, although I have read that some other people did that. We installed the pop door the next few weeks and they were able to go in and out all day. I still lock them up at dusk and open the house at dawn. Hope that helps. Enjoy your hens!

Hey BYC,

Thanks,
andrew3waz
Chicks are usually fully feathered by 6-8 weeks of age, and that is when I usually put them out in the coop. However, if the weather is colder than 50-60 degrees F. (unless you can provide heat in the coop), I wait until the chicks are at least 10 weeks of age before moving them to their new home.

Thanks as they are only 5 days old it is probably going to be colder at there 6th week of life i should wait to put them out.

Back
Top Bottom