Feb 16th hatch-a-long

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by juliaaa, Feb 16, 2012.

1. juliaaa

juliaaa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    Hello everyone... I just put my first set of eggs in the incubator, this is my first time hatching eggs. I have 24 rhode island red eggs, 9 pure silkie eggs and 6 white silkie hen and silkie/chocin rooster eggs.

I'm already walking back in the room a few times to make sure everything is ok. I can already see this becoming addicting, it is a good thing we live on a farm lol

Anyone else put some in today?

I'm a nervous wreck and don't want to mess it up. I got the 9 pure silkie eggs for Valentine's day and really hope they hatch and I end up with more silkies lol

Aside from reading articles, does anyone have any first timer tips?

I added a picture of them in there. I don't have egg turners but hope to get them with the next hatch (shhh don't tell the other half I plan on hatching more eggs lol)

NOT SURE WHY THE PICTURE IS SIDEWAYS BUT HERE THEY ARE!
    [​IMG]

2. AngelaPenny

AngelaPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    I'm in. I just set 21 eggs. Second round for me.

3. Oakieridge

Oakieridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2012
    Lincoln Co., OK
    Well technically "I" didn't set any eggs but there is a kind local man that will hatch eggs for you for a small fee. Since we don't have an incubator yet we chose to let someone else "set" the eggs for us. They went in yesterday so hopefully by the 7th or 8th we will have some babies. We only had 14 fertile (or what we think are fertile) eggs so hopefully I get 5 or 6 chicks from them.

Cathie

4. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I will be putting some in shortly after I go collect eggs in couple hours.

5. juliaaa

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    I got the Silkie eggs and the incubator for Valentine's Day. I secretly think that he wanted the incubator to hatch his own eggs but said it was me so he didn't feel bad buying it lol.

6. hburkha1

hburkha1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2011
    I put a dozen silkie eggs in my new Brinsea incubator! Hope it turns out well!

7. juliaaa

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    DAY 4: Looks like I'm not doing that bad of a job on my first ever hatch!!!! I couldn't wait and candel-ed the eggs today. Looks like things are moving along good!!! Why does this have to take so long? I want them hatched now!!!!!!!!!!!

8. AngelaPenny

AngelaPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    I candled and can see definite action in 20 of 21. The other egg has a dark and speckled shell and it maks it hard to tell.

Good luck everyone!

9. juliaaa

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    I'm going to go through and candle each egg. When I did it for the first time it was hard to see through the brown Rhode Island Red eggs. I can't wait for it to get dark out now so I can check them all out... I'm hoping for a good hatch rate on my very first hatch. I checked a few of my Silkie eggs last time and they seem to be doing great, they're easier to see through that's for sure!!!

Sooooo excited to candle tonight!

Anyone else have any updates?

LOCKDOWN DATE: MARCH 4th

10. Oakieridge

Oakieridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2012
    Lincoln Co., OK
    We got word that the eggs being set for us are looking good. Some of my Maran eggs that are really dark are hard to tell but he thinks it is a go on all 14 right now. I can't wait to see the little babes. I hope to get 6 at least out of the hatch but if not I will be happy with 1 or 2 since this is our first time having any of our own eggs put in the incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by