FEB incubation experience -JULY update - BLK. ORP & EE *new pics*

DouglasPeeps

Songster
11 Years
Feb 26, 2008
Colorado
This is my first experience at incubating eggs! Needless to say, I am tickled! I feel like a kid the night before Christmas, even if it will take 21 DAYS TO HATCH!.

I ordered BBS Orpington eggs from MissPrissy on Tuesday. They arrived this morning - Thursday! They were all in great condition! ~Thank you MissPrissy!

I added 6 other eggs to incubate, including 3 EE eggs and 3 mutts. I am anxious to see how my own eggs will do.

I have them set in an egg carton with the bottoms cut out. I am the egg turner (
wink.png
), so I thought this method might work best. I can move the egg carton back and forth and the eggs will then turn. I have the incubator set up in one of our bathrooms. It is VERY dry here. I found when I was testing the incubator, I could hold the humidity best in the bathroom. I am running a humidifier on low in there.

Here are the pics from today!

OurFirstHatchingAdventure001.jpg

OurFirstHatchingAdventure002.jpg

Great packaging!

OurFirstHatchingAdventure003.jpg

All eggs arrived safely!

OurFirstHatchingAdventure005.jpg

OurFirstHatchingAdventure006.jpg

BBS Orpington Eggs

Miss Prissy, can you tell me what your writing on the eggs means???

OurFirstHatchingAdventure007.jpg

All set up in the incubator.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Quote:
No, no... I waited a couple of hours before putting them in the bator. But the pictures of the waiting were VERY boring!
lau.gif

Quote:
whats wrong with that my first hatch was with a Hova-bator no fan or turner and I am still using it with great results.

Last edited:
Quote:
whats wrong with that my first hatch was with a Hova-bator no fan or turner and I am still using it with great results.

Thank you crazychicken! Glad to know not everyone thinks I am crazy. I am just using what I have.
big_smile.png

I never said anyone was crazy.

I hope you have an awesome hatch.

My first hatch in my LG was great too. Actually my real first hatch was in this
thing with a light bulb my dad borrowed from a freind for me when I was in
6th grade.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you! Actually, I have hatched eggs with a broody, but I can't really take credit for that. But I am still hoping for beginners luck!

Has anyone been sucessful using the egg carton turning method in a still air incubator? Its my understanding that it will only work in forced air incubators, due to the air temperature stratification in the still air. That is hotter air temps at the top and cooler air temps at the bottom.

Besides by hand turning each individual egg you will develop a closer relationship with them, resulting in a more fulfilling hatching experience.
db

Back
Top Bottom