Febendazole dewormer in waterer dosage

DreamingHeart

Chirping
Jun 2, 2019
Pennsylvania
Hello, I'm going to deworm my flock of 15 chickens and I wanted to know how much of the liquid febendazole goat dewormer I should use per gallon. I see a lot of posts on oral administration but 15 chickens who don't all want to be caught doesn't seem doable. Thanks!

You can't mix it in the water, it will settle out and they will not get dosed properly. The only Safeguard you can mix in the water is Safeguard Aquasol and it's extremely expensive.
I do between 2 and 3 dozen birds every three months, it's doable. You lock them in the coop at dark, go out before first light while they are still roosting and take them off the roost one at a time. Dose the bird and put it in the run. When the coop is empty you've done them all and are finished. Not as bad as you might think and it gets quicker with practice.

You can't mix it in the water, it will settle out and they will not get dosed properly. The only Safeguard you can mix in the water is Safeguard Aquasol and it's extremely expensive.
I do between 2 and 3 dozen birds every three months, it's doable. You lock them in the coop at dark, go out before first light while they are still roosting and take them off the roost one at a time. Dose the bird and put it in the run. When the coop is empty you've done them all and are finished. Not as bad as you might think and it gets quicker with practice.
x2.
I wormed my 22 birds before sunup Saturday morning. It took about 40 minutes. I'm getting slower in my old age. :hmm

I didn't think about getting them before they go out! Thanks!!

So which dewormer do you use?

I alternate Valbazen and Safeguard (either liquid goat wormer or horse paste), given orally directly to each bird. Those two medications at the correct dosing will take care of most of the common internal parasites. I worm regularly, every three months. I am mostly worming for roundworm in my flock. If you ever need to treat for tapeworm, then a medication containing praziquantel would be best for that.

“At the correct dosing...” I’ve set horse wormer by weight. Is there that the correct way for chickens?

Back
Top Bottom