February 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
Where are you, @coffeeaddict ?
You can add your location to your profile, so it shows up below your avatar on posts.
No ice storm here, thank goodness. It's finally going to warm up a bit today. Lots of sunshine.
I’m in Texas. It’s unusual for this area to have icy weather like this. Wonderful you guys are warming up! 😁

Being in the Arctic Tundra, aka the Midwest, I would normally not start incubating eggs until March. However, a friend of mine has lost several birds to predators this winter, and would like for me to get him some chicks going. So I’m getting an early start on the hatching season (which is always exciting)! I’m collecting eggs right now, and will get them started as soon as I have enough for a full incubator (22). That should put this first hatch towards the end of February. Eggciting! :)

Im not incubating my own eggs but my breeder put the eggs in on monday and im expecting chicks around the 19th to 21st! First time raising chicks, im getting 3 pure blue ameraucanas. Im so excited
Hurray! So hard to wait! I’m hatching out some wheaten/blue wheaten Ameraucanas next hatch :jumpy

I shut off the incubator today. :( I knew it was a longshot, but I suspect that since the girls were not Quite mature enough yet to be laying when he was taken, that maybe makes it impossible. Perhaps if they had already come to maturity ...and then I had eggs from up to two weeks later, there might have been a real chance. 🤷

Sorry to interrupt this super exciting hatch-along, already in progress.

Joining as I set my first ever batch of eggs today. I'm excited to see how it goes! But also trying to be realistic - my cockerels are young and enthusiastic (sometimes too much so, see my other recent thread about a hen injury, and another one seems to be in love with one of my duck hens, to her dismay) but they are also clumsy and, well, young (7 mos).
I've only set eggs from hens I've seen the boys mounting, and when eating eggs have observed they do appear fertilized. So we'll see.

I put 13 eggs in - hoping to get at least 2-4 chicks. It would be just my luck if all 13 hatch. Some are mixed Orpington (mamas are buff, cockerels are Chocolate, Black, and Lavender, though the Lavender one mainly wants to get it on with my glove... did I mention they are young and dumb? ;))- and some are Barred Rock/Orpington.

Back
Top Bottom