February 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
Candled again because I'm hand turning my eggs so figured why not. No quitters but I have started pulling clears. Rhe geoups im hatching from the rooster has 11 hens (only 7 laying at the moment) but only 3 hens eggs are all developing plus a single blue egg from a 4th hen, guess he has his favourites.
I have two blue layers in that pen but one keeps getting out to lay and a dogs eating them so I think that solo egg was hers. Will have to fix the pen so the dogo stops getting a sneaky treat

Have you guys noticed any difference in chicks you get as day olds from a hatchery versus ones you hatched yourself? Are they even more tame? Do you get more attached to them? I was guessing it might be the same since the hatchery chicks are only a day old, but honestly not sure. I talk to my eggs a bit when I turn them. My husband would think I’m crazy if he knew. Just in case it’s like a human baby where they can hear sounds and recognize voices.😂

Have you guys noticed any difference in chicks you get as day olds from a hatchery versus ones you hatched yourself? Are they even more tame? Do you get more attached to them? I was guessing it might be the same since the hatchery chicks are only a day old, but honestly not sure. I talk to my eggs a bit when I turn them. My husband would think I’m crazy if he knew. Just in case it’s like a human baby where they can hear sounds and recognize voices.😂
I talk to mine all the time, but especially when hatching. When I talk to them while hatching they zip quicker.

I think it is close to the same but maybe a bit stronger of a bond. At least on my end. Lol

Day 5! I’ve been candling once a day even though I told myself not to. I justify it because it’s my first time so I need to see the whole process! Plus step-daughter is loving doing the check in’s seeing the changes.

Today more development - seeing the eye. I thought I had some that looked like they were starting to quit but all looked good. Couldn’t see anything in my dark Easter egger. Some darker ones hard to tell but pretty sure they look good.

I’m going to start talking to my eggs now too!

Attachments

• 97797396-6B61-4557-B345-7A2DB0E2D99D.jpeg
    97797396-6B61-4557-B345-7A2DB0E2D99D.jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 3
Day 5! I’ve been candling once a day even though I told myself not to. I justify it because it’s my first time so I need to see the whole process! Plus step-daughter is loving doing the check in’s seeing the changes.

Today more development - seeing the eye. I thought I had some that looked like they were starting to quit but all looked good. Couldn’t see anything in my dark Easter egger. Some darker ones hard to tell but pretty sure they look good.

I’m going to start talking to my eggs now too!
I still candle most days and I did 3 hatched last year (well successful). And I am on my 3rd this year (hatching for someone else). It is so exciting to see. I will say around day 7-10 I almost always think they have quit. Not sure why but chick and veins get hard to see. Then as quick as they got hard to see they are back to normal. Lol

Back
Top Bottom