February 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
She's been broody almost 2 weeks, shes my mot reliable broody/mother though (we named her Broody Bella due to it) and she has accepted chicks after being broody just a few days and even taken on older ones that were coop ready. Half a dozen due on the 13th are hers in hopes I get some daughters that are just as good as her.
Broody Bella, huh? 🤣 One of my silkies went broody and hatched a chick that is now about 10 weeks old. I guess I should name her Broody Snowfluff. :) Silkies are one of the most broody chickens, I guess. 😨I'm really nervous, what if the chicks die or don't hatch?

Broody Bella, huh? 🤣 One of my silkies went broody and hatched a chick that is now about 10 weeks old. I guess I should name her Broody Snowfluff. :) Silkies are one of the most broody chickens, I guess. 😨I'm really nervous, what if the chicks die or don't hatch?
I am sure they will be fine. I have only lost a couple out of a ton of eggs after lockdown. Getting to day 10 seems to be the hardest.

day 19 for 2 eggs, day 18 for 1 egg and day 17 for 2 eggs, expecting chickies this weekend :celebrate The 1 blue egg i mentioned was a day 19 so thats minus 1 there- The other egg on day 19 is a bantam and i can hear it pecking and kicking around already, no chirps yet, ill probably see that one flopping around tomorrow evening.
*** Note ***
My eggs always seem to hatch on day 19/20 when laid on by hens, they all do well and are perfectly health and laying around my yard.

Day 8 - most eggs doing great. Lots of movement.
I suspect my copper maran is a quitter. The dark spot I can see is smaller than the others and no movement. EE are a a constant source of frustration lol.
I have relied on my step-daughter to take notes. This was likely a mistake. There are are lot of lines and arrows pointing to things that I can’t quite make out.

I kinda feel this on a small scale. We currently live in an HOA and can't have a lot of chickens. I ordered day olds from a hatchery then thought since we are homeschooling lets incubate part of our chicks this year!🤪 I ordered some shipped eggs then added local eggs then added more local eggs. I could end up with 30 chicks this month! I'll need to give away or sell half. I can't rehome hatched chicks because I won't be able to tell the sex. Will have to feed and house them for 3-6 months.😭
Chicken math 🤷🏻‍♀️🤣🤣

Back
Top Bottom