February 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
Day 9 - pretty sure my copper maran and one svart hona had an early death. Keeping them in for now to continue to observe.
Was able to see veining in one of my EE finally. As far as I can tell 12 eggs are on track. 12 more days to hatch for me!

So many on here close to hatching! Whooo hoo!
Hopefully they were just hiding? Did u see any veins?

It is early, day 15 on my shipped eggs, I did do a candle. I like to candle the point it gives me a good idea if they are getting closer to lockdown. (point should be dark day 16, but definitely by day 18) there were maybe 2 with dark point. The others looked like they were getting there, some not so much, but all were alive. The one that looks the best is one of my hen's eggs, I set the same day as the shipped.

<3:
20230203_174955.jpg
20230203_174924.jpg

Hopefully they were just hiding? Did u see any veins?
Copper maran no. What I believe is the eye is still small probably the size of where all the eggs were a few days ago… floating freely and no movement unless turned.
Svart hona has some veining but much less and no pulsing in the veins or inside at all. It’s a fairly easy to see egg and it was the same yesterday. Not giving up yet but not looking good. Glad I have one other one they are hard to get!

I have 2 hens that are broody. It is too cold to give them my eggs. I am thinking of setting up an area where a mom can brood the chicks. I have done that before in May, but it is still in the 20's at night and 30's day. I am trying to think what would be best. I can chain a heat lamp with no fear. What I have done in the past is make sure the chicks are eating and drinking, and I have moved the chicks in at night only for a few days. Then combine them for real. I may just give a hen some baby roosters. IDK. I have some time to think about it.

Back
Top Bottom