February 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
What day are you again??

So exciting!!!!!
Day 20 ended at 7:30pm. Starting Day 21 now!
Is it ok to secure the eggs with rubber bands so they don't move around? I read on a thread that it was good to use rope but I only had rubber bands so do I take the rubber bands off so the egg can move around or do I leave it?
I hope you don't have rubber bands ON the eggs, but I think it would be fine to lay a rubber band down flat and set the egg inside it.
Also do the eggs need to move or roll around to hatch the egg?
They don't need to roll around, but as chicks hatch they'll bump into other eggs and climb over them, moving everything around willy-nilly. I don't know if it's better to let them roll, or if it's better to stablize them with something (like rubber bands or rope). I'd like to hear this answer, too.
My only plan for lockdown is to put in a cut to fit cupboard liner (the grip kind) and take out egg turner. Aside from adjusting humidity and vent.
I wish I'd done that - an extra layer of the grippy mesh kind. Right now I just have the mesh floor, and I tend to get water on my eggs whenever I add water. Plus, in my incubator it's hard to see the level of the water under the mesh floor. I've found a couple of eggs almost sitting on water (!) when I added too much.

They don't need to roll around, but as chicks hatch they'll bump into other eggs and climb over them, moving everything around willy-nilly. I don't know if it's better to let them roll, or if it's better to stablize them with something (like rubber bands or rope). I'd like to hear this answer, too
Ok, so will the hatched chicks hurt the unhatched chicks somehow by bumping into them?

Day 20 ended at 7:30pm. Starting Day 21 now!

I hope you don't have rubber bands ON the eggs, but I think it would be fine to lay a rubber band down flat and set the egg inside it.

They don't need to roll around, but as chicks hatch they'll bump into other eggs and climb over them, moving everything around willy-nilly. I don't know if it's better to let them roll, or if it's better to stablize them with something (like rubber bands or rope). I'd like to hear this answer, too.

I wish I'd done that - an extra layer of the grippy mesh kind. Right now I just have the mesh floor, and I tend to get water on my eggs whenever I add water. Plus, in my incubator it's hard to see the level of the water under the mesh floor. I've found a couple of eggs almost sitting on water (!) when I added too much.
Hmmmm I wonder what you could do to make it easier? I wonder if there is a way you could have something bright floating in the water but contained to the side for a marker? And just keep that area clear for visibility.

Back
Top Bottom