February 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
I already need a bigger coop and my coop isn’t even finished.
I’ve got problems.
I got 10 chicks to start last year, bought as pullets, 2 were roos... We kept 1 and rehomed 1 so down to 9.. one chick passed away so down to 8.... Built my coop plenty big enough to get more..... Got more last year and hatched some and I am now basically at my limit..... Ugh. I do have a free coop I can get but we need to take down a section of fence to get it in my yard.... Need to convince my husband to do that this spring and expand my run. Lol

I got 10 chicks to start last year, bought as pullets, 2 were roos... We kept 1 and rehomed 1 so down to 9.. one chick passed away so down to 8.... Built my coop plenty big enough to get more..... Got more last year and hatched some and I am now basically at my limit..... Ugh. I do have a free coop I can get but we need to take down a section of fence to get it in my yard.... Need to convince my husband to do that this spring and expand my run. Lol
Just tell him that with the price of the eggs these days your are just increasing your assets!
I’ve already devised a plan to increase my coop size. I’ll modify my existing plan a bit and then leave myself with an option to add an addition that will maximize existing materials. Or so I hope. I have no experience building anything and doing it all myself haha

Have 3 chicks now. A white and blue from the leghorn eggs, completely forgot she could have been masking blue under her white, and a blue from the Marans egg which was expeted because she's splash. Thankfully that one has feathered legs so I can tell them apart. All will be barred thanks to Legbar dad.
Second Marans is pipped nothing on the last leghorn egg

Attachments

• 20230204_133153.jpg
    20230204_133153.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230204_133123.jpg
    20230204_133123.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230204_133037.jpg
    20230204_133037.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 2
Just tell him that with the price of the eggs these days your are just increasing your assets!
I’ve already devised a plan to increase my coop size. I’ll modify my existing plan a bit and then leave myself with an option to add an addition that will maximize existing materials. Or so I hope. I have no experience building anything and doing it all myself haha
I told him I had to expand the run this year. I have tried to think of a way to expand my coop but I think that would be way too much work/too hard. So figured 2 coops connected by the run is better.....

Do a horrible job of building a run, and see if he doesn't have it built himself. If they do a terrible job of doing the dishes and we end up doing the dishes so that it is done right, maybe they will do the same.
Lol. I can't complain my husband is better at cleaning than I am. Haahaa. I just need to buy the materials and ask him for help with cutting something and he will be out there building the whole thing with me. Lol

Have 3 chicks now. A white and blue from the leghorn eggs, completely forgot she could have been masking blue under her white, and a blue from the Marans egg which was expeted because she's splash. Thankfully that one has feathered legs so I can tell them apart. All will be barred thanks to Legbar dad.
Second Marans is pipped nothing on the last leghorn egg
So cute!!!!! They look so alert already!

Just signed up for BYC so I could join the hatch along! I am hatching eggs with my students (college level) for one of our classes on ornithology. We have 11 eggs (started with 16, the students picked the 12 to go in the incubator and only 1 didn’t develop.)
Day 21 should be sometime in the early AM on Tuesday the 7th. Because the students are learning the whole process, we went into lockdown a little early today. We are seeing small wiggles already but no peeping yet.

There were 8 different breeds (2 eggs each) originally:
  • Salmon Faverolles
  • Rhode Island Red
  • Welsummer
  • Green Queen
  • Easter Egger
  • Buff Orpington
  • Barred Plymouth Rock
  • Light Brahma
They came from Meyer Hatchery. Part of the student project is they have to figure out which breed their egg is so the eggs are marked by student pair rather than breed. (I have a secret master list to verify and luckily none of my students so far have thought to wonder about the mysterious letters on the round ends ;)). I also know the two eggs most wiggly so far are a green queen and a barred Plymouth Rock.

We are doing a livestream of the incubator if anyone would like to check it out! Like I said, they’re not due to hatch til Tuesday but the students were very anxious about missing anything. The livestream link is

Just signed up for BYC so I could join the hatch along! I am hatching eggs with my students (college level) for one of our classes on ornithology. We have 11 eggs (started with 16, the students picked the 12 to go in the incubator and only 1 didn’t develop.)
Day 21 should be sometime in the early AM on Tuesday the 7th. Because the students are learning the whole process, we went into lockdown a little early today. We are seeing small wiggles already but no peeping yet.

There were 8 different breeds (2 eggs each) originally:
  • Salmon Faverolles
  • Rhode Island Red
  • Welsummer
  • Green Queen
  • Easter Egger
  • Buff Orpington
  • Barred Plymouth Rock
  • Light Brahma
They came from Meyer Hatchery. Part of the student project is they have to figure out which breed their egg is so the eggs are marked by student pair rather than breed. (I have a secret master list to verify and luckily none of my students so far have thought to wonder about the mysterious letters on the round ends ;)). I also know the two eggs most wiggly so far are a green queen and a barred Plymouth Rock.

We are doing a livestream of the incubator if anyone would like to check it out! Like I said, they’re not due to hatch til Tuesday but the students were very anxious about missing anything. The livestream link is
Welcome! How exciting!

Sorry to jump in with another newbie concern. This is my only remaining Spitzhauben egg and the air cell seems large for day 14? It's also the smallest egg. Thoughts? I did remember to candle the right end this time.:wee

Love seeing all the pics of hatched chicks and pips! Living vicariously through you guys and trying not to think too much about my hatch next week. 😭

IMG_0968.jpg

Back
Top Bottom