February 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
I picked up and examined each of my eggs several times over the last few days, looking for pips that were hidden, and recording the time and progress of each pip. I carefully placed them back in the same position they were in, unless the pip was on the bottom in which case I turned it slightly so the pip would be visible.
I had all 26 hatch, so no ill effects. On my batch, anyway.
I don't know why folks advise to "lockdown" and "don't open the incubator" during lockdown. A broody hen doesn't do that. She gets up once or twice a day to eat, drink and poop, and jostles the eggs. So.....
That’s awesome. What did you leave your humidity at during lockdown?

I need to be able to open mine too. 😬 I was going to try and turn 6 eggs from the outside, but it would be much easier if I could open the bator and turn them. Maybe do a 2x a day turn. Every 12 hours for those 6 eggs.

Today is day 18. 14 shipped eggs made it to lockdown, + one of my hens. (In separate, lockdown incubator.)
23fi.PNG

I knew shipped eggs would be tougher to hatch. I ordered 2-3 each breed I wanted. I still have 1-2-3 of the breeds in lock down I wanted, but for the welsummers. I do have 2 wellies in my flock so I will not really miss having any.

My other chicken's eggs, below, I set have been doing well, some are due 3 days after the shipped, some are due on the 25th. So pretty spread out. They are not marked so I am just going to go by candling. I have the ones due feb 20-25 on one side of incubator, and the ones due sooner on the other side.
23fj.PNG

All fertile, the two to the back left are the only ones I don't know if they are but all the others are.

I picked up and examined each of my eggs several times over the last few days, looking for pips that were hidden, and recording the time and progress of each pip. I carefully placed them back in the same position they were in, unless the pip was on the bottom in which case I turned it slightly so the pip would be visible.
I had all 26 hatch, so no ill effects. On my batch, anyway.
I don't know why folks advise to "lockdown" and "don't open the incubator" during lockdown. A broody hen doesn't do that. She gets up once or twice a day to eat, drink and poop, and jostles the eggs. So.....
I do the same thing on checking eggs, candle for internal pips, listen for cheeps etc. For the same reason. My broody got off her pipped egg for at least 30 min with no I'll effect.

That’s awesome. What did you leave your humidity at during lockdown?

I need to be able to open mine too. 😬 I was going to try and turn 6 eggs from the outside, but it would be much easier if I could open the bator and turn them. Maybe do a 2x a day turn. Every 12 hours for those 6 eggs.
My humidity is 65 at lockdown. As long as it isn't open for a long time you are fine to open it and turn other eggs or check your eggs etc. It should come back up quick.

Back
Top Bottom