February 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
Late to the Hatch-a-long thread for February! I made a snap decision and loaded 24 eggs in my Brinsea yesterday. I'm trying to get some last chance mixed color marans from my flock where the rooster dropped dead two and a half weeks ago :( I threw in a few from my cream legbar roo's pen as well so that I'm not too disappointed later.

It was peeping this morning in the incubator but I couldn't figure out which egg it was and then I checked for pips and I found that one halfway zipped and then I cracked it and I think it is DIS. I'm waiting for a miracle.:(

That’s awesome. What did you leave your humidity at during lockdown?

I need to be able to open mine too. 😬 I was going to try and turn 6 eggs from the outside, but it would be much easier if I could open the bator and turn them. Maybe do a 2x a day turn. Every 12 hours for those 6 eggs.
70% +/- during 'lockdown' the last three days, Days 19-20-21. It's okay to fluctuate a little bit, it will every time you open the lid (and every time Broody Mama would get off her nest anyway), but will recover quickly. My incubator has no way to add water from the outside, so I have to open it up to add water a couple of times a day. There were moments the humidity dropped to 40% when I wasn't paying attention, and 80% when I added too much water or needed to open a vent. They were FINE.

Do NOT turn them during the last three days. They are wiggling and getting into position for hatch. Don't mess with which way they're turned unless their pip hole is sitting face-down. They only need to be turned during Days 1-18, and then 4-6 x per day.

Ummm... I looked at all of my eggs looking for pips, and one was halfway zipped and well it I guess stopped but it's not zipping anymore. What happened?
Oh my. What is happening now? Peel some of the shell away, like you're zipping it for her. Movement? Breathing? Carefully, look for blood veins. Dab a bit of warm water, mineral or coconut oil onto all exposed membrane, look for blood veins. Peel away a TINY TINY bit of it, slowly, to watch for bleeding. If it bleeds, STOP. She's alive, just needs more time. Dab a paper towel on it until bleeding stops. Back in the 'bator she goes. If NO bleeding, proceed carefully, peel slooooooowly all the way around the zip-line, watching for the slightest drop of blood. Movement? Kicking? If it's too weak to kick but still breathing, then carefully pull the top of the shell off her head. Still okay? Crack the lower half and peel bits away carefully away until you can see the yolk-sac. Still has yolk? STOP, back in the 'bator she goes. No yolk-sac? Proceed to remove the entire shell. Let her rest now. Nothing more you can do at the moment. She either has the will to live, or she doesn't. :fl

Back
Top Bottom