February 2023 hatch-a-long

I'm really late to the February party. Yesterday was my first hatch day ever. I started with 12 but only 4 made it to lockdown. Most were mail delivered and botched up badly so I didn't have high expectations. 1 appenzeller spitzhauben hatched yesterday, and 1 blue cochin bantam hatched last night. I have a 2nd blue cochin bantam that just started a tiny pip yesterday around 5pm but it hasn't progressed any since. I also have a crested cream legbar egg and there's been no signs of movement or pipping. I had a very hard time candling because it is so blue I couldn't see much. I'm hoping it's just a late bloomer but probably not. The spitz and cream legbar are the only two eggs that survived the mail delivery. The bantams are from my own flock and my little roo was just killed last week so I'm excited to at least have his babies.

The spitz is doing great. Very active chick and super curious. Both of the bantams have hatched. We "think" the parents are blue cochin bantams but were never sure, just guessing, One chick is blue and one is buff. Their are so tiny and cute. The buff is even smaller.

Attachments

• PXL_20230219_162513981.jpg
    PXL_20230219_162513981.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 5
Just went into lockdown. I saw movement in three, the two brown were too dark still and the other two I could see forms but no movement... but veins looked good so i locked them all down.

One I think may have quit or was sleeping no movement at ALL. But it wasn't cloudy and no blood ring no smell so I went for it.

Here goes my first hatch ever!
Yay! Sending you some good hatching vibes. Hope all goes well. 3 of my 4 are hatched and moved to a temporary brooder. Still debating on the 4th.

3 of my 4 eggs hatched this weekend but the 4th still has no movement or sound. I did remove the 3 chicks to a temporary brooder and quickly candled the 4th egg. I could definitely see the v-shape of the beak in the air sac so it internally pipped, but still no sound or movement that I could tell. It's day 23, and I don't know how long ago it internally pipped, do I keep waiting or should I do something?

3 of my 4 eggs hatched this weekend but the 4th still has no movement or sound. I did remove the 3 chicks to a temporary brooder and quickly candled the 4th egg. I could definitely see the v-shape of the beak in the air sac so it internally pipped, but still no sound or movement that I could tell. It's day 23, and I don't know how long ago it internally pipped, do I keep waiting or should I do something?
😟 If it isn't moving it might be DIS, i'm sorry. It happens. What you can do is gently make a hole from the end where the air cell is, extend it slowly, working on where the air cell is ONLY and you will see...

So, question. I got these eggs shipped from an eBayer with good reviews. I ordered 6 barred rocks and 6 ameraucana. She sent an extra egg, a smaller white one (mystery egg). 52g at arrival compared to all the others avg at 66g. It’s the egg that hatched yesterday, a day early. Did she send me a bantam? It seems odd because I have no bantams and having only one in a regular flock seems like a recipe for trouble. Thoughts? It’s this being…

Attachments

• 7BEDA239-01DA-4A2B-9269-0AF1A010FC8A.jpeg
    7BEDA239-01DA-4A2B-9269-0AF1A010FC8A.jpeg
    380.6 KB · Views: 5
So, question. I got these eggs shipped from an eBayer with good reviews. I ordered 6 barred rocks and 6 ameraucana. She sent an extra egg, a smaller white one (mystery egg). 52g at arrival compared to all the others avg at 66g. It’s the egg that hatched yesterday, a day early. Did she send me a bantam? It seems odd because I have no bantams and having only one in a regular flock seems like a recipe for trouble. Thoughts? It’s this being…
Some of my LF girls lay smaller eggs aroun 50g, for example my Sussex, Faverolles & one of the Easter Eggers. I do think non-bantam chickens can lay smaller eggs. Could also be a pullet egg.

Back
Top Bottom