February/March Grow-a-long

Pics
00FD0CC9-0313-4A1C-B115-2821FA22F22B.jpeg
F1A5B4BD-7AFF-418B-81B0-84E0D3025D49.jpeg

These are my newest Silkie hatchlings. Top one hatched this morning and the second one is 5 days old.
881F270E-2146-4227-BDA8-6C735ED61948.jpeg
067BF039-7FE3-45CC-A922-368CF27CCCC5.jpeg

These last two are the ones I started with at the end of February. They will be a month old on Sunday. They are out of a Blk satin NN x Satin paint silkie. Not sure what color they will be

Chicks in their new home. Final home before they go on the dog kennel out in the big coop.
They wouldn't go under the mhp at first and at bedtime were crying loudly. I ended up having to lay down a puppy pad and put the mhp on top of that and the continuously putting them under till they all finally stayed amd quieted down.

Made sure to get in there as i saw them pop out and watch them find the waterer and feeder. They seem happy with all the room! They habe started trying to fly😳. I dont currently have a top on this box but i think we have some chicken wire out in the barn. If not will make a trip to home depot. Maybe just get some bird netting.

Attachments

• 20230324_194517.jpg
    20230324_194517.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 2
Background: I have done my brooding outside, under a heating pad (MHP), in a modified dog crate, inside a fortified hoop coop. Last Thursday night I left the brooder/crate door open so they could come and go as they please. Friday and Saturday morning they were out and about early, but this morning we had a strong thunderstorm early (4am) and it was raining lightly when I went to check on them, about 8am. The chicks were noisy, so I figured they were hungry, so I topped off their feeder. In response they all went back into the brooder...and then I realized that they'd never been rained on before. ☔ ;):D
IMG_20230326_085915410~2.jpg

Sadly after spending a fair amount of time with the chicks today (cleaning out the brooder and taking them outside), I noticed that one of them does had some scissor beak forming. Doesn't seem to be hindering it as it is still one of the larger birds in there, but definitely something to keep an eye on.

Here are my March babies. I wasn't planning to have chicks until May. These needed rescuing,. They're not out of the woods but cautiously optimistic. My first post about them was on iIlness / injury board today because they were very unwell with extreme pasty butt and even pasty feet when I got them yesterday. I had to bring them home I couldn't leave them at the feed store like that. They are 10 days old. 2 are silkies I don't know what the other two are. It doesn't matter they needed help and I was there. We've had a very hard 24 hours but they are perking right up now after much treatment, and getting them eating and drinking and dealing with sore bottoms. I thought one or more may pass so I even got them outdoors for a short while to dig in the dirt (harder than it sounds we're still buried in snow and I didn't want to chill them). I just want them to have normal chick experiences, their first 10 days don't appear to have been very good. I thought if they aren't going to make it at least they can be warm, more comfortable and do a few chicken things. I do hope they will all thrive and become part of our diverse flock, for now just trying my best for them and seeing signs it may be working.
20230325_134959.jpg
20230326_131921.jpg
20230326_155935.jpg

Back
Top Bottom