February/March Grow-a-long

Pics
My leg bands came today, along with a supplemental waterer and some plastic eggs for later. I recommend the company, Foy's Pet Supplies: https://foyspetsupplies.com
IMG_20230319_111547246~2.jpg

Now I can band the chicks so I can name them!

Yet again, got 3 new chicks:
A buff silkie, a white silkie (thinking mixed), and a barred cochin (Who is having a bit of a boo boo atm, finally got it to eat. ) They range within 5days -1week.
Barred cochin: 6/7 days
20230319_120153.jpg
Buff silkie, was told they were a week old as of yesterday (yes i got this one and the white silkie yesterday): This one gives me rooster vibes and i actually hope it is a roo, as i dont yet have a silkie roo.
20230319_115936.jpg

The white silkie, same age as the buff. Feet are not completely feathered, and its missing the head poof, so thinking mixed.
20230319_115904.jpg

Day 4! All butts fluffy, clean and accounted for!
20230319_075751.jpg

20230319_075710_HDR.jpg

20230319_075641.jpg

I cleaned the brooder this morning and it’s already gross 🤦🏼‍♀️ Think it’s time to move to shavings! They have decided not to use the brooder plate, so I think it’s time to raise it up more! I just love the chick pile 😍 the little porcelain ones love to be squished up against the wall at the bottom of the pile 😆 I already have a favorite too—this little one is just as happy as a clam to sit with me. It’s sort of the loner too. Everyone goes to the pile and it will go to the brooder alone. I worried about it at first because I thought it might mean it was self isolating and not well, but she seems to be doing fine! She was last of the three to hatch by several hours so I’m wondering if she’s odd chick out! Either way…I’m loving her chill personality and adorable cheeks! 😍
Ive run into this too. Im changing puppy pads 3x a day. They are sooo messy! How old were they when you started adding bedding? Im doing straw since thats what i use in the coop but i think i will chop it up. I havent been able to find chopped straw for sale around here.
My leg bands came today, along with a supplemental waterer and some plastic eggs for later. I recommend the company, Foy's Pet Supplies: https://foyspetsupplies.com
View attachment 3436438

Now I can band the chicks so I can name them!
My chicks each have 2 white stripes down each side of their backs so i colored in the right one different colors with my sons washable markers 😆 i got black, brown, yellow, purple, green, blue and orange....and thats what i call them. Im not creative. I do need to think about leg bands soon though.

Day 4! All butts fluffy, clean and accounted for!
View attachment 3436898
View attachment 3436900
View attachment 3436905

Ive run into this too. Im changing puppy pads 3x a day. They are sooo messy! How old were they when you started adding bedding? Im doing straw since thats what i use in the coop but i think i will chop it up. I havent been able to find chopped straw for sale around here.

My chicks each have 2 white stripes down each side of their backs so i colored in the right one different colors with my sons washable markers 😆 i got black, brown, yellow, purple, green, blue and orange....and thats what i call them. Im not creative. I do need to think about leg bands soon though.
I decided it was time today and they are 17 days old. They are super tiny birds though, if they were standard sized I would usually do 7-10 days old. I just want them old enough they won’t eat it instead of food! They love it 😍

My incubator chicks hatched 3/13/23, so almost a week old. Ended up with sixteen healthy chicks 🥰

I have two Pita Pinta roosters - eggs were from black & white barred olive eggers, solid white easter egger, black australorp and purebred pita pinta's.

Ended up with:
  • 3-Silver and yellowish creme chicks from the blue easter egger eggs.
  • 8-Black, creme, gray (white tips on wings) from the dark green olive egger eggs.
  • 4-Purebred Pita Pintas.
  • 1-Black and yellow chick from the brown australorp egg.

Attachments

• PP x Australorp back view  3.19.23.jpg
    PP x Australorp back view 3.19.23.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 1
  • PP x Australorp  3.19.23.jpg
    PP x Australorp 3.19.23.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 2
  • PPxEE 3.19.23 chick 3.jpg
    PPxEE 3.19.23 chick 3.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 2
  • PPxEE 3.19.23 chick2 .2.jpg
    PPxEE 3.19.23 chick2 .2.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 2
  • PPxEE 3.19.23 chick2.jpg
    PPxEE 3.19.23 chick2.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 2
  • PPxEE 3.19.23.jpg
    PPxEE 3.19.23.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 2
  • PP Purebred 3.19.23.jpg
    PP Purebred 3.19.23.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 3
  • PPxOE 3.19.23.jpg
    PPxOE 3.19.23.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 2
  • PPxOE & PPxEE 3.19.23.jpg
    PPxOE & PPxEE 3.19.23.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 2
My incubator chicks hatched 3/13/23, so almost a week old. Ended up with sixteen healthy chicks 🥰

I have two Pita Pinta roosters - eggs were from black & white barred olive eggers, solid white easter egger, black australorp and purebred pita pinta's.

Ended up with:
  • 3-Silver and yellowish creme chicks from the blue easter egger eggs.
  • 8-Black, creme, gray (white tips on wings) from the dark green olive egger eggs.
  • 4-Purebred Pita Pintas.
  • 1-Black and yellow chick from the brown australorp egg.
Those are some gorgeous chicks.:love

I have 3 broody's in my yard right now, both of my salmon faverolles and a buff orpington. Some of y'all may remember from the hatch-a-long, one of those salmon faverolles was the mother of them and her chicks just turned 6 weeks old. A month or so later, she's ready to brood again. Thing is, I'm gunna try my best not to let her. We decided since she had already raised chicks, we let the buff orpington have a try, as this buff orpington is only around 7/8 months old, a new layer, it is indeed her first time brooding, so why not let her? She has 6 eggs, due to hatch the day before and on easter.
As for the other salmon faverolle, she is 9/10 months, also her first time, but i figured with me only having 3 pens, and over 40 chickens, soon to be 50 or more, that it wouldn't be the best to allow 2 chickens to brood, let alone 3.
-
Broody hens I tell you, I have plenty of them and i keep hearing people say they haven't yet had a broody hen and they've had chickens longer than I have. Am i lucky or am I not? Not sure to be happy about my luck or not to be.

I have 3 broody's in my yard right now, both of my salmon faverolles and a buff orpington. Some of y'all may remember from the hatch-a-long, one of those salmon faverolles was the mother of them and her chicks just turned 6 weeks old. A month or so later, she's ready to brood again. Thing is, I'm gunna try my best not to let her. We decided since she had already raised chicks, we let the buff orpington have a try, as this buff orpington is only around 7/8 months old, a new layer, it is indeed her first time brooding, so why not let her? She has 6 eggs, due to hatch the day before and on easter.
As for the other salmon faverolle, she is 9/10 months, also her first time, but i figured with me only having 3 pens, and over 40 chickens, soon to be 50 or more, that it wouldn't be the best to allow 2 chickens to brood, let alone 3.
-
Broody hens I tell you, I have plenty of them and i keep hearing people say they haven't yet had a broody hen and they've had chickens longer than I have. Am i lucky or am I not? Not sure to be happy about my luck or not to be.
I hope to have a broody or two in the future. The breeds i have arent known for it but i may have to buy some that are in a couple years.

I hope to have a broody or two in the future. The breeds i have arent known for it but i may have to buy some that are in a couple years.
What breeds do you have? Reason I ask is because I may own some, or have some mixed with those breeds, could tell you if mine have gone broody of that breed before. Most of my broody's have brooded more than once before.

Back
Top Bottom