February/March Grow-a-long

Pics
1:03am and it's raining cats and dogs outside
These two decided to keep them selves warm and he looks after her like a mother would
I hope she doesn't break him :oops:

Attachments

• IMG_20230326_213035_301.jpg
    IMG_20230326_213035_301.jpg
    442.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230326_213043_981.jpg
    IMG_20230326_213043_981.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 4
Okay, 16 days old now (I probably wont post for a few more weeks to keep from overloading.) I will attempt to post in the same order as before.

Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen.. sadly getting a little scissor beaked

Smitty.jpg

Zombie
Zombie.jpg

Cuprous... assuming part EE with those floofy cheeks and green legs.
Cuprous.jpg

Noire, the absolute calmest of the bunch
Noire.jpg

Chweeper
Chweeper.jpg

Dib (previously un-named, thinking roo)
Dib.jpg

Gir (previously unnamed - also thinking roo)
Gir.jpg

Quadrube
Quadrube Jr.jpg

Gaz (previously unamed, possibly, hopefully hen)
Gaz.jpg

Any names could change based on gender of the birds.

Here are my March babies. I wasn't planning to have chicks until May. These needed rescuing,. They're not out of the woods but cautiously optimistic. My first post about them was on iIlness / injury board today because they were very unwell with extreme pasty butt and even pasty feet when I got them yesterday. I had to bring them home I couldn't leave them at the feed store like that. They are 10 days old. 2 are silkies I don't know what the other two are. It doesn't matter they needed help and I was there. We've had a very hard 24 hours but they are perking right up now after much treatment, and getting them eating and drinking and dealing with sore bottoms. I thought one or more may pass so I even got them outdoors for a short while to dig in the dirt (harder than it sounds we're still buried in snow and I didn't want to chill them). I just want them to have normal chick experiences, their first 10 days don't appear to have been very good. I thought if they aren't going to make it at least they can be warm, more comfortable and do a few chicken things. I do hope they will all thrive and become part of our diverse flock, for now just trying my best for them and seeing signs it may be working.View attachment 3445263View attachment 3445265View attachment 3445266
How are the rescues doing?

How are the rescues doing?
I'm happy to say they're doing very well, thanks for asking! Two are still a bit bald around the bottoms but that'll grow back. Only 1 of the 4 needed any treatment at all tonight and just a bit. They're like 4 healthy, happy, regular chicks now. It's such a relief. I atill have no idea what the two non-silkies are but I'll try to get some good pics for ID'ing soon. This wasn't about who they are breed wise but who needed help. I didn't even kow two were silkies until I got them home and started working with them. Have to think of some names now too :jumpy
20230328_161324.jpg

Here are my March babies. I wasn't planning to have chicks until May. These needed rescuing,. They're not out of the woods but cautiously optimistic. My first post about them was on iIlness / injury board today because they were very unwell with extreme pasty butt and even pasty feet when I got them yesterday. I had to bring them home I couldn't leave them at the feed store like that. They are 10 days old. 2 are silkies I don't know what the other two are. It doesn't matter they needed help and I was there. We've had a very hard 24 hours but they are perking right up now after much treatment, and getting them eating and drinking and dealing with sore bottoms. I thought one or more may pass so I even got them outdoors for a short while to dig in the dirt (harder than it sounds we're still buried in snow and I didn't want to chill them). I just want them to have normal chick experiences, their first 10 days don't appear to have been very good. I thought if they aren't going to make it at least they can be warm, more comfortable and do a few chicken things. I do hope they will all thrive and become part of our diverse flock, for now just trying my best for them and seeing signs it may be working.View attachment 3445263View attachment 3445265View attachment 3445266
God bless you for your tender heart. :love

Tuesday

Not totally sure, but I think this group is The Hen Patrol:
IMG_20230328_173335621~2.jpg

Blondie is on the left, partly hidden.

Here's Blondie:
IMG_20230328_172844396~2.jpg

Arby (possible roo?)
IMG_20230328_172636835~3.jpg

"Blue" (roo?)
IMG_20230328_171537284~3.jpg

"Purple" (roo?)
IMG_20230328_171519833~2.jpg

"Purple/yellow" (from Monday)
IMG_20230327_173305078_HDR.jpg

That's most of them.

Another order of leg rings is on the way, for those whose feet were small enough to let the original rings come off.

Final names will come with sexing, based upon characteristics most likely.

Wednesday evening, it's 46°F, expected low is 40°. I went out to the coop after dark to fill the feeder (better than at 5:30am!) and noticed that two of the chicks were snuggled down together in the straw on top of the MHP. The other chicks were underneath, and peeped quietly when the motion sensor light went on.

They're getting so big...

I got exactly one chick to behave for a photo shoot…so here is my porcelain d’Anver behaving for 2 secs 😆 The porcelains are 27 days old and I think I have two cockerels and one pullet. My 5 self-blue d’Anvers are 5.5 weeks and I got only 1 girl out of 5…wth? 2 girls and 5 boys…So lame!

Attachments

• 6B180EFF-F6AB-4CA6-9630-23F1FE89C113.jpeg
    6B180EFF-F6AB-4CA6-9630-23F1FE89C113.jpeg
    390.4 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom