Fecal Report back, my Vet is Unavailable - Can anyone translate this?

I did not test for parasites - my vet requested a fecal sample because this hen has been sick with diarrhea and lethargy for almost a month now. Just over 3 weeks ago, vet felt a small mass inside her, assumed it was reproductive, withdrew clear fluid out of her, and put her on Clavamox. 6 days later - there was no improvement. I switched to Baytril which my vet will not prescribe for chickens. However, vet said she was improving on Baytril when, 4 days later, she had follow-up visit. During visit, vet could NO LONGER feel the internal mass and said - I thought it was reproductive - let's get a stool sample to see if it is something else. Meanwhile, this hen has declined, she has stopped eating - I forced some Sav-a-Chick electrolytes and probiotic water into her this morning and am preparing to force mash into her. She is very weak. Vet is off today but stool sample came back and I wanted it read. I honestly think it may be to late for this hen. Can anyone recommend a drastic remedy. This hen, and her brother, the white rooster in my profile photo, are all I have left from my original flock of 9. I took her off Baytril yesterday.

Forgot to mention, I have Safeguard 10% liquid for goats. I have never used it, it expired last month. I can easily get more at tractor supply. I also have ivermectin paste.

Sorry that she hasn’t improved on the two antibiotics. I would worm her just in case it helps. With a reproductive disorder, it can be hopeless, but eventually they will die. But if she won’t eat, tube feeding would be something to try. I would treat your other birds for capillary worms as well.

Yes - it is the same bird. This is my Beanie Baby (yep, that's her name). Throughout all of this - she has still been eating and drinking. It's just within the last 2 days, those have decreased. As I type this, she just ate some crumbled walnuts out of my husbands' hand. earlier, she had several sips of SAV-A-CHICK probiotic/electrolyte water. I want to help her but don't know where to turn. I have the Safeguard dosage ready to give her. Poor thing - she has had antibiotics for almost a month straight. Baytril seemed to be working at first.

The SafeGard you have is fine to use. Just shake it well for each dose you pull out with a syringe. I would use anything that is less than 1 year out of date, and since you have never opened it, that is even better.

As always, thanks to all for the advice. My hen is just over 2 lbs - I figure 1/2 ml. is a good dosage of safeguard,,,but,,,is it once or twice a day?

Back
Top Bottom