Fed Dried Mealworms to 3 week old Chicks without grit.

Countryhippie

Chirping
Aug 29, 2021
Massachusetts
I went on a 3 day vacation and had my brother watch my 6 3 week old chicks. When I returned I saw a bag of dried mealworms. He told me he was giving them to the chicks as a treat for the 3 days I was gone. I was very upset considering I didn’t ask him to do that.
I am nervous because my chicks are not on grit yet. They are only on chick starter. Will they be okay if they ate the mealworms or will they have a hard time processing it? I am going to get chick grit tomorrow to make sure but I am so worried something will happen.

I went on a 3 day vacation and had my brother watch my 6 3 week old chicks. When I returned I saw a bag of dried mealworms. He told me he was giving them to the chicks as a treat for the 3 days I was gone. I was very upset considering I didn’t ask him to do that.
I am nervous because my chicks are not on grit yet. They are only on chick starter. Will they be okay if they ate the mealworms or will they have a hard time processing it? I am going to get chick grit tomorrow to make sure but I am so worried something will happen.
I have given very young chicks mealworms without grit.....😬 There were no problems! Does your chick starter not have a little bit of grit in it? I thought most do.....?

Nothing will happen, they'll be fine. grit isn't really necessary.
Grit is to help the gizzard take care of food to help break it down for digestion. I think it is necessary.
Maybe its not necessary if a chick is only fed chick feed and it may not be necessary if the chick has had mealworms in addition to the chick feed.
But, if the chicks don't have access to the ground and soil, grit is absolutely necessary especially once they are fed "treats". Mealworms are considered treats.

I only feed grit to my chicks and chickens when they don't have access to the soil. So, a chick in a brooder that is receiving treats wouldn't have access unless you brought them a clump of soil or you took them outside where they could have access to the soil. It's also a good idea to introduce them to the soil via clumps of soil placed in their brooder. It helps strengthen their immune system to the local cocci in your soil.
My chickens have access all year long except the winter when the soil is frozen and then I offer grit in separate container that they can use when needed.

I only feed grit to my chicks and chickens when they don't have access to the soil. So, a chick in a brooder that is receiving treats wouldn't have access unless you brought them a clump of soil or you took them outside where they could have access to the soil. It's also a good idea to introduce them to the soil via clumps of soil placed in their brooder. It helps strengthen their immune system to the local cocci in your soil.
My chickens have access all year long except the winter when the soil is frozen and then I offer grit in separate container that they can use when needed.
Thank you so much for all the information. I have been taking my chicks out on nice days to spend time in the grass but its been in the 60s lately so I haven't been able to do that because its to cold for three week old chicks. I will start adding a clump of soil to the brooder right away, I never thought of doing that.

Thank you so much for all the information. I have been taking my chicks out on nice days to spend time in the grass but its been in the 60s lately so I haven't been able to do that because its to cold for three week old chicks. I will start adding a clump of soil to the brooder right away, I never thought of doing that.
They love to scratch at it. It's fun to watch them be miniature chickens. 😊

Back
Top Bottom