"Fed up" with feed & feeders - What do you feed your laying hens, and what style feeder do you like?

I love this type of feeder. I made my own as they are pretty easy to do. I have an article on how to make one. 02CB4491-DACC-4537-AB62-84B134AACFD0.png C9FC17E4-0350-43EA-BA94-2633AA44BA21.jpeg

Last edited:
my birds are let out every day at the same time and i control the amount of food they get .. so their 'feeder' is a plastic bowl screwed down to a plank and they get fed every evening and that gets them in the coop and up pronto .. same with the water bowl screwed to the side, and theres an external old pan i keep under the trees with fresh water in it .. yeah after i threw out tons of waterers and other things the squirrels tend to destroy, we got a more simple setup going ... less wasted food and money and they know who their daddy is lol .. my routine is let them out after 11 every day, at the same time i spray the floor of the coop out and change the water, i'll occasionally give them treats before i go in to let them know theyre loved so they drop plenty of eggs, then they forage till 7 or so and are waiting for me by the garage door to put them up .. after theyre in i collect the days eggs, if the nest box needs attention i'll sort that, then we're done lol, see you girls tomorrow ...

Plenty of feeders out there and there is always one "best" at something. But at some point nearly everyone is going to deal with rodents or wild birds if they cheap out on buying a feeder or cobble together a home made elbow style feeder. If you don't have the budget for a commercially made treadle feeder there are plenty of plans around for a home made treadle feeder out of plywood. Most are the guillotine style with the overhead swinging door. If in a dry location that will get you by and is a lot better than feeding rodents and wild birds.

I use Purina Layena Pellets Premium Layer Feed 16%-protein and this feeder the only bad thing about the feeder is that the wind will knock in the rainwater which spoils their feed and i live in Florida so it rains at the most random times.
1603393376212.png

the only bad thing about the feeder is that the wind will knock in the rainwater which spoils their feed and i live in Florida so it rains at the most random times.
Any feeder needs to be protected from the wet weather.
I started out with one of these, they will bill the feed out pronto, despite the spokes.

Back
Top Bottom