"Fed up" with feed & feeders - What do you feed your laying hens, and what style feeder do you like?

Fluster Cluck Acres

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 26, 2020
Frederick, MD
Hi all,

Not to be punny, but I'm fed up with my chicken feed. I'm still a chicken newbie, had my flock of 5 laying hens for less than 2 years. I feed Dumor 16% Layer crumbles. It's reasonably priced, recommended by the girl who worked at TSC, and had decent reviews. But this feed seems to suck in every ounce of moisture it can find. I store the feed in an airtight container in the my garage, and it seems to be fine while it's in there. But keeping the feed from "gumming up" in my feeder is a struggle. I feed the girls daily, and try to only feed them about as much as they'll consume that day.

My husband built a PVC pipe feeder (great design so the chickens can be fed from outside the run). This feed / feeder combo worked great for nearly a year. Then it started gumming up. I'd take it apart, clean it, make sure it was 110% dry, put it back together, and it would gum up again with a short amount of time. It did not seem to correlate to days that were rainy or humid (I live in Maryland. It worked fine in the humid summer, but started having issues in the Fall when the air was less humid). Ultimately the feed wouldn't come down the tube on its own for the girls to eat it. So then we tried a new feeder with a wider PVC pipe, and added additional "security" against moisture/condensation/in case anyone so much as sneezed near the feed. The new feeder worked well for a couple months. Now it's gumming up again. It hasn't rained. It hasn't been humid. I have no clue how both open ends of the PVC pipe can be completely dry, but the food in the middle is clumping up and seems to be getting moisture in it somehow. (We tested the seals and the pipe wasn't leaking, so I don't think that's the explanation). I have finally just decided that maybe its the feed, and maybe it's too much of a magnet for moisture.

So I'm looking for feed recomendations. I'm open to feeder suggestions, too. Bonus points if it can be purchased at Tractor Supply, Chewy, or Amazon. Feel free to also offer your opinion as to "type" of feed as well (layer feed vs. all flock).

About my flock- I have Isa Browns, RIRs, and a Wyandotte that I got as chicks Spring of 2019. They currently free-range all day, but if the world goes back to normal some day, they will be free-ranged only about 40-50% of the time. Some day I plan to explore DIY feeds, but for now I'd prefer something I can simply purchase in a bag. Thank you for your thoughts! I've attached a picture of my stunning Silver Laced Wyandotte, Maleficent, for your viewing pleasure. (Appropriately named because she is in fact a tiny dragon).

Attachments

• 2020.05.10 01 chickens 04 Maleficent.jpg
    2020.05.10 01 chickens 04 Maleficent.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Where is the feeder located - does it get direct sun? Likely the pipe is sweating inside, just a guess.

I get that you are looking for convenience, aren't we all! LOL
Personally, I have tried a few feeders and have not been impressed with any. Feed seems to get stale or can mold fairly quickly, get clumpy, etc.
I switched to using feed cups a few years back. I got some basic rubbermaid wire shelving, cut that in pieces to make a "rack". Got some feed cups and now just use that.
Cups are taken up every day, they can be washed, I can put dry feed out or wet mash - easy peasy at least for me.
I have 3 separate "runs" currently and use these in all the runs. Birds kept penned separately, I can just hang the cups on their cage.

Just an idea :)

1602074598599.png

I tried a hanging feeder, but switched to one of those tough black rubber bowls. I have it sitting in a rubbermaid food container. The sides of the container are a little higher than the bowl, and I have a couple of fist-sized rocks next to the bowl so the chickens can't tip it over. Very little "stuff" gets scratched into it, very little food gets flung out.

At night, I take the bowl out of the rubbermaid container, set it on the ground, put a glass (sturdy, heavy) pie plate upside down over the bowl, put the rubbermaid container upside down over that, and put the rocks on top. I have yet to find any evidence of critters getting into it.

I feed Nutrena Naturewise All Flock pellets (20% protein) with OS and eggshells on the side for my pullets. I bought both the bowl and the food at TSC, and the pie plate came from Goodwill.

Back
Top Bottom