Feed amount

Loppy Lobster

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2017
Good day everyone, kinda new to the backyard chicken thing and need someone to clarify something for me... my understanding is that a chicken eats approx. 1/3 of lbs of feed a day... roughly 2 lbs a week... right? Non-GMO organic type feed that is. Why would anyone think that chickens eat 1 lbs of feed a day? even for chicks? The place I am planning on buying my feed from are adamant about it... does anyone think there is something wrong there? They said that each chick will eat 1/3 of a cup of feed a day which equates to just about 1 lbs. Marketing scheme or their feed is not very good? Once my chickens can go outside, they will be free range as well as being on feed. Thx for the help in advance.

Personally, I wouldn't get bogged down in suggested daily consumption rates (there are many variables that render them pretty useless IMO). Get a small bag of chick feed, give 24 hour access to it and you will soon know when its time to get some more.

Chicks just about double their size every week, thus, double their intake every week. I agree. Don't over think this. Buy your chick starter, when it's almost gone, buy some more, unless they are ready to move up to the next level. I keep my entire flock on chick starter until I move my chicks onto layer, then the entire flock eats layer.

The most important thing I stress is that the feed must be fresh. If it's 6 weeks past the mill date, the nutrients are breaking down, per a well published poultry nutritionist. So, I don't buy more feed than I can use in that 6 week window. The second thing I stress is: fermented feed provides better nutrition for the flock. It also cuts your feed bill, as the birds are better able to absorb the nutrients in the feed, and there is no feed spilled on the ground, as often happens with dry feed. I've been fermenting for at least 4 years. My flock is healthy, and my egg customers notice the superior flavor of my flock's eggs compared to eggs of other flocks not on FF.

Hello again, all arrived alive... but one had a 2-3 inch green thread like thing coming out of its vent. I tried tugging on it gently but it seems to be attached or stuck really well...

Has anyone ever heard or seen that? If so, what do I do with it?

I thought of that too but I wasn't sure... seems to be in the near proximity of each other buy could not tell for sure... fat fingers ;) .... we'll keep monitoring... thank you!!!!

The umbilical cord it seems to be... Picture attached if you are curious.

Thx for the feedback..

Attachments

• 20170622_112851.jpg
    20170622_112851.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 8
I have a little guy in distress.. seems like he's gasping for air and acts lethargic... every few minute he has burst of energy for a second butbwill lay right back down.... they have been on the same feed for the last week and this morning I gave them their first batch of fermented feed... everyone else seem fine... they weren't really interested in the fermented feed this morning but now they are all over it... any idea? Thank you in advance

Back
Top Bottom