Feed amount

hoovert

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Roughly how many lbs of feed will I go through a week with 5 adult hens? I read that some people keep feed available at all times. In this case how fast do you think it would be consumed?

I choose NOT to have feed just hanging around any more. I've gone back to feeding twice a day. They consume their feedings in about 15 minutes, maybe a bit longer. They get plenty to eat, and they are happy and productive. I just do not choose to feed or encourage the rodent population, especially with feed being as high as it is. There is never any feed left out at night, in the feeders.

A full sized hen eats approximately 4-6 oz of pellets a day. In other words, a pound and half, approximately, for your 5 birds. So, you'll be going through 50 lbs in about a month, give or take. This supposes they have some pasture and such to graze as well. In the winter, they WILL eat more to keep warm.

Last edited:
With eight I buy a 50# bag once a month (actually, it last slightly longer now that I got rid of the rooster, even though I replaced him with two girls. He was obviously eating more than his fair share).

I do leave mine out there all the time, in a hanging feeder. I bring it in nights in the fall, when mice are looking for a good place to hole up for the winter, but other than that, I've had no problems.

Now when I tried to store the sunflower seeds in the coop attic on the other hand... :p

I have 5 RIR hens and leave the food free choice in the coop. With them in the coop all winter I went through a 50# bag of pellets every 6 weeks or so. Crumbles maybe lasted 4 weeks. Now that they are back outside, I use even less feed, maybe go almost 2 months on 50#. I top off their 10lbs feeder about every 4 days or so.

I get 50 kilos of food which usually last me around 2-3 months of "normal" twice a day feeding, I used to have food out all the time but chickens are VERY greedy and will eat for the sake of eating,

Twice a day and roaming around eating what they like is plenty imo

Back
Top Bottom