feed and free range

abhaya

Songster
12 Years
Nov 5, 2010
cookeville, tn
My girls free range all day. They reall dont eat much of thier feed should I be concerned? I use a 13 oz coffee can as a scoop and I only use 1 a day for 6 hens and a roo. They never run out they just dont eat much feed. I use 1 cup of scratch at nigh before they go in the coop for bed. occasionally I toss out a head of cabbage or some lettus or something like that but they really dont get a bunch of treats.

If they are healthy and have access to their pellets, it's most likely a very good arrangement. Mine free range all day, and they don't eat too much of their "store bought" food either.
What they find in the yard must be so much tastier than pellets. Worms and bugs and grass... mmm, yummy

No don't be concerned they will eat what they need.
You are lucky alot of people would love to have to feed less with the price of feed the way it is, i feed 100 pounds a day and my flocks are totaly free ranged, but i have alot of free loaders that prefer to hang around the feed pans
barnie.gif

thanks that is what I hope for. They have woods to free range in so I know they are eating a lot but I just wasnt sure if I should be concerned about what they were eating.

Quote:
A 50 lb bag lasts me 2 months or a little more. If I can sell a dozen eggs a week the flock will pay for itself pretty much.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom