feed and poo odor-my imagination?

seminolewind

Flock Mistress
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Sep 6, 2007
Corydon, Indiana
I was feeding Layena, but I'm now trying Nutrena. Their poo stinks so bad, I'm thinking of going back to Layena. Is this my imagination? Do some feeds make poo smell stronger than others?

Oh i think so!!

I know when I was on the one brand of layer pellets that is at the co-op they stink to high heaven when they drop a load. OMG its enough to peel paint off the walls. The sunfresh <Purina?> layer feed we get from the feed store, they dont seem to stink as bad poop-wise, and thats what we tend to stick with
smile.png

I really like using the Purina Sunfresh / Layena brands. I'd tried the Dumor and it was so-so, but I didn't realize it b/c it was what I'd started them on. When I went to the Sunfresh / Layena, I noticed a definite difference in the odor and size/quantity of poop. It was MUCH LESS on both counts. I thought it may have been a fluke, so I bought one more bag of Dumor after that, and I couldn't WAIT to get rid of it.
sickbyc.gif
I was delighted to go back to Purina Layena, Purina Game Bird Chow, and the Purina scratch grains. I had also bought some scratch grain and one bag of feed at a local Southern States supplier b/c my regular place was out and the truck wouldn't be in for 3-4 days. It kept them from starving, but they were thrilled to get their Purina back. In addition (adding insult to injury!) the scratch was absolutely FULL of tiny hardshelled blackish brown bugs (not meal moths, not worms, just tiny bugs).
hmm.png
yippiechickie.gif
for Purina!

I'm noticing alot bigger poos too. I'm glad it's not my imagination. I need to switch back. It really stinks back there, LOL

The main difference there is probably that Purina is vegetarian, no animal protein. If you think that's bad, don't give them Game Bird Breeder or Flight Conditioner! I had chicks in the brooder on Game Bird Grower for their first few days since I was selling them and didn't want to buy a bag of starter just for a few days. Wowee, they stunk! Lots of gooey brown poop with that. The next batch, I got the chick starter and even with animal protein in it, the poop didn't smell nearly as bad.

In fact medicated feed makes the dropping really nasty... but I use because of cocci prevention for the birds under 5 months old.

Back
Top Bottom