Feed and water at night?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckville denizen, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Duckville denizen

Duckville denizen Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Texas Hill Country
    My two little ladies are now about two months old, and up to now, I have been keeping food and water out for them 24 hours a day, including in their coop at night. I would really like to begin just feeding them twice a day, morning and evening, and having water out for them during the day, plus treats as I have them occasionally. Would it be okay to go to this plan now? Keep in mind that Rounder, my little Pekin, is blind, but I do help her to find the feed and water. Susie, her little mallard friend, also is helping in this regard. [​IMG]

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

I quit giving mine food and water at night after reading here that many people were not give it at night, as long as you are letting them out early...has been working well for me. [​IMG]

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    At about 8 weeks old, I started letting the runners go 8 to 10 hours at night without food or water. They were READY for breakfast in the morning! At three months, they moved to their own little house outside, and I left water on their porch but not food as I was concerned about attracting predators.

During the winter they were indoors, so I left food and water for them at night. It seemed to keep them more calm, so this summer when they moved back to their summer cottage, I let them have food overnight in the veranda - a porch attached to their house. So far we have had no apparent predator problems. I have electric fence around their house and pen at night.

Food and water are not ever in their house, just in the porch area.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Mine are over 2mths old and i still keep water & food with them 24/7 even in there night time housing... we do a pea treat before night close down but otherwise i don't see myself ever changing this set-up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by