Feed and water in pen/coop

Trial and error is fine and all, but I prefer research. That way you can benefit off of someone else's trial and error. It's especially important with live animals, to be sure the animals don't have to put up with errors.
What run solution works best for you will depend on your individual situation, but I'd recommend looking into what other people do in your climate.

Lots of trial and error!

In the brooder I start with the little feed pans you can screw the mason jar into and the similar waterer until they get big enough and really learn and master eating and drinking. In my makeshift Rubbermaid tote brooders I drilled a couple holes across from each other on the sides and slipped some threaded rod across and used washers and nuts to secure it enough. I’ll hang my smaller feeder and a length of PVC with nipples on the bottom for water.

Basically an 18 or so inch long piece of pvcwith an elbow and quarter turn valve to purge the air and the other side has a reduced to a 1/4 inch barb to attach some poly tubing that runs to a 5 gallon bucket positioned higher than the waterer. Once they learn to peck the nipples it’s smooth sailing and they’ll always have clean water. Otherwise you’ll be changing it at least twice a day because there’s always that one bugger that perches at the top of regular waterers and uses it as his or her toilet bowl.

Outside in the run I’m with the others that recommend a small wood frame with chicken wire stapled over the top to keep some grass growing. Every now and again you can throw some oat seed, buckwheat etc to add some variety to the growth. Otherwise they’ll scratch it bare. Mulch it thick with wood chips. Any kind. Leaves and pine needles as well. They’ll do all the work turning it and breaking it down for you, adding poo, eating bugs and bits, and in a season or two you’ll have some mighty fine compost built up underneath you can sift out and add to your garden or planters.

For my outside feeder I have a hanging 40gal lockable pail with a deer/game feeder attached to the bottom with a timer. Drops just enough feed twice a day to keep the ladies happy and the rodents hungry.

I use horizontal nipple waterers and DIY no waste feeders. I can go away for more than a week and not have to depend on someone to feed or give water to my flock. I have a neighbor that likes to come get the eggs though.

I keep food and water inside and outside, my coop and run are open 24/7.

View attachment 1784790

View attachment 1784792

I use the horizontial nipples as well except I auto feed them through plastic pipe from a 55 gal drum that fills with rain water from a gutter on the back of the coop. I dont glue the corner fittings on my pipes so in the winter instead of breaking they just pop apart, I live in the south so its not a big problem.
I also use the same 4" Pvc elbows for feeders but I use the flat sided buckets that Cat Litter comes in.

First time chick owner here. I am getting ready to move our 6-week old chicks outside and I have a few questions:

What types of feeder and Waterer are best? Those that sit on the ground or those that hang? I don’t want them kicking stuff into them on the ground like they do in the brooder but maybe that’s not a big issue outside where there aren’t shavings to kick into it?

I assume feed and water stay outside in the pen rather than in the coop. True?

Right now, the area the pen encloses is grassy. Will it eventually become just dirt? If/when that happens do I need to put straw or something down or can they just have a dirt floor in the pen? The coop is pretty small, just a few nesting boxes and a couple of roosting bars so I don’t anticipate them spending much time in it.

I’ve read that you should put something in the nesting boxes to keep the chicks from sleeping there until they are ready to lay? What would you put in them?

I will probably have more questions but this is a start. My gals are ready for more space. I’m so glad the weather has turned so they can be moved outside! So glad I found you all. Such great resources!

Mary Beth
I’ve had chickens for 8 years with no issues. My coop yard is 8x3 constructed of 19 hardware cloth fencing. Topand all sides. During the day their yard 30x50 is surrounded with solar generator poultry fence. I feed them a mash of rice, oatmeal, etc and pellet feed in am and a metal feeder with pellets. I put out a days worth of pellets each day. Don’t want to fill it and have wet feed. put out more than one waterer. You don’t them to be dry in the hot weather. Leave them in their coop for a week when you put them out, check for adequate ventilation. That way they will go back to their coop home each night. Protect from predators.

I keep hanging feeders in the coop, the kids have auto waterer's, aka dog bowls. Mine have a dirt run, except for when it rains or the hose or something breaks on one of the waterer's, the dirt floor is just fine. Helps with them getting grit too. I use pine shavings in my nest boxes and to keep them from sleeping in them you will need to block them off with something. I used pieces of board to cover mine till my chickens figured out what the new roost was. How many chicks do you have and what is the measurements on your coop?
I had no idea that you shouldn’t let them sleep in the nesting box till a certain age. What happens?

Back
Top Bottom