Feed and water in pen/coop

This is my pen, coops are attached to ends of this. I also have a water And hanging pellet feeder out side. I have had no leaking with my nipples on water jug. This works out well when they are locked in pen. My winter water jug I’d heated.

Attachments

• 15E427AB-B290-4536-9028-7D9E7A328F5D.jpeg
    15E427AB-B290-4536-9028-7D9E7A328F5D.jpeg
    660 KB · Views: 36
  • F180EDFA-1F39-4A9D-A1B0-B9D57DADFC43.jpeg
    F180EDFA-1F39-4A9D-A1B0-B9D57DADFC43.jpeg
    542.9 KB · Views: 35
First time chick owner here. I am getting ready to move our 6-week old chicks outside and I have a few questions:

What types of feeder and Waterer are best? Those that sit on the ground or those that hang? I don’t want them kicking stuff into them on the ground like they do in the brooder but maybe that’s not a big issue outside where there aren’t shavings to kick into it?

Mary Beth
It's a big issue for one reason: rats, mice, or wild birds being attracted by spilled feed. That's why some use treadle feeders that the chickens have to trigger by stepping on a foot pedal so vermin can't get in and munch away...creating a buffet for critters you don't want in your run!

How do you keep the chickens from pooping in the water and food containers? I plan to build a run and upgrade the containers next month, til then they haven't needed that much room yet because they are still pullets. They just went outside a month ago. I put the containers under the coop thinking it would help, but it dosen't. What could I do?

Trial and error is fine and all, but I prefer research. That way you can benefit off of someone else's trial and error. It's especially important with live animals, to be sure the animals don't have to put up with errors.
What run solution works best for you will depend on your individual situation, but I'd recommend looking into what other people do in your climate.

When i agree about trial and error i mean that it's clear that within the realm of best practices research there are still many acceptable choices for the chicken keeper.

I tell you what: I researched the heck out of feeders and waterers before my chicks were old enough to go outside. I ended up making a waterer with a bucket and vertical nipples and DIY PVC feeders.

They were great, honestly, but my girls prefer drinking from pans. So I still have the hanging bucket waterer, but I now have pans scattered about the yard that I change daily. It's easier to clean/change than the bucket.

As for feeders, I ended up switching out the PVC feeder for typical plastic hanging feeders from TSC. They were waaaay cheaper. I hang them from the rafters of my run using old dog leashes. I just unclip the feeders at night and bring them in. Again, easier to clean.

I think what all of these suggestions boils down to is, as you said, trial and error. Try something (after research, of course). Then change/adapt as needed. My system is not the preferred system of most, but it is so easy for me, and my girls are happy. Isn't that all that matters?
:)

Back
Top Bottom