feed chickens egg shells?

tuckertori

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
A friend of mine says she bakes used egg shells, crumbles them and feeds them to her chickens to increase their calcium intake. Does anyone else do this? Is it necessary to bake them before you feed them to the chickens?

I feed my older hens eggs (yolk, shell) without cooking them. But they only get to eat eggs about once a month. It is good for calcium and I have never heard of baking the shells. Either way works

I know a few people that bake the eggshells first; I've never asked why....I will have to do that. I rinse out my eggshells and have a lidless plastic container I've been tossing them so they will dry & not mold. I will smash them up and put them in a bowl for my chickens once they start laying....about another 10 weeks.

I put mine in a blender after I mash them up so they don't look anything like an egg shell. I don't bake mine. The chickens think they are treats. I put them in a large tuna can screwed to the coop wall.

I don't dry them, bake, them, or use a blender. I take them outside shortly after cracking them. Crumble them by hand. Toss on ground. Chickens eat them if they want.

Back
Top Bottom