Feed companies response to the “big question”.

This is my first year with chickens (egg layers) and I have been feeding Dumor Egg Layer food. I have supplemented with cracked corn and sun flower seeds. I know this is the first year the hens have been laying, however they continue to belt out 20 to twenty three eggs daily for twenty-four hens. I see no reason to change what I'm doing at this point. People say many things and cause others to go off suggesting other things that haven't been proved out. As stated above nothing has been mentioned about Purina or any other manufacturer of chicken foods to suggest the food is bad. I also supplement with vegetable scraps when available.. Maybe if you believe your chicken should be laying One might have your birds tested.
As I have stated in previous feed threads on BYC, my chickens have never cared much for Dumor feed, especially their layer versions. I do find that curious because it is made by Purina, and they like the other feeds with the Purina brand name. Right now I am feeding Purina 20% Flock Raiser crumbles, mixed with Bartlett 17% Layer Pellets and Bartlett 16% Redneck Rooster and they are eating the hell out of it. They particularly like the Redneck Rooster because they go for it like I go for hot iron skillet cornbread. My bantam hens and pullets are laying like crazy.

Last edited:
As I have stated in previous feed threads on BYC, my chickens have never cared much for Dumor feed, especially their layer versions. I do find that curious because it is made by Purina, and they like the other feeds with the Purina brand name. Right now I am feeding Purina 20% Flock Raiser crumbles, mixed with Bartlett 17% Layer Pellets and Bartlett 16% Redneck Rooster and they are eating the hell out of it. They particular like the Redneck Rooster because they go for it like I go for hot iron skillet cornbread. My bantam hens and pullets are laying like crazy.
Could post the analysis on the bags of those feeds?

Moral of my point is why worry about feed issues if your chickens eat majority of their diet on live plants and insects. Thats the way to secure the trust that your chickens are getting what they need. Or just keep shaking your stick at dumor and blame their feed
I have a foot of snow on my property and its currently -20. No live bugs or live edible plants for the chickens in this frozen tundra til prob late April/May. Unfortunately, for about 6 months of the year, my chickens rely on feed and purchased supplements. I do give them salad scraps, but none of that can take the place of natural feed.

I have heard some say that changing feed to goat feed solved the 'no egg' problem. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of the introducing goat feed exclusively instead of laying pellets?

I have heard some say that changing feed to goat feed solved the 'no egg' problem. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of the introducing goat feed exclusively instead of laying pellets?
Not a good idea, there are always different needs for different livestock/animals hench all the different feeds on shelves. Long term it can have detrimental effects on your chickens. Thats the short answer not going into all the scientific/nutritional reasons.

First thought: protein level of goat feed is too low.
Second thought: copper level of goat feed is too high.
Various other points are wrong too.

If you want to change feed, I would suggest finding another chicken feed.

You might try a chick starter or all-flock type feed, which has more protein than layer feed. Or a gamebird starter, which is also for similar birds but has an even higher protein level.
(I'm not saying whether protein is actually the problem, just saying that lower protein is not likely to help and may make things worse. So you might as well try a feed with more protein, not one with less.)

Back
Top Bottom