FEED EXPERTS! Is this feed sufficient or equivalent ??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NYRIR, Apr 3, 2012.

1. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I found an Agway store that mixes their own feed for almost half the price of what I pay now for Dumor Unmedicated at TSC. They said they mix corn,soy,calcium and mineral block. The amounts of protein are correct for the layers.My hens get free choice oyster shell as well.

My question is, if I add 10% scratch grains to this mixture, will my birds be getting what they need? They do get lots of fresh foods too but I don't want to switch over if the feed is not good enough compared to what I am getting now.

sigh....wish i could just afford organic!

2. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    anyone?

3. outdoorpodcast

outdoorpodcast Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2012
    My guess is that if you don't subtract anything from the feed mix and are simply adding to it with scratch, then you will be adding to the protein levels. You would have to know the ratios in the feedmix to know exactly how it will increase. I think you are fine as long as it is good quality feed.

4. squig2

squig2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    michigan
    usually adding whole grains decreases the protein intake unless their is something like sunflower seeds in it. If you are going to feed alot of whole grains you may want to think about add the vit/min to the water regulary. Hope that helps

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Local ground/mixed feed is often far cheaper than bagged, name brand feeds that get trucked in. The local feed mills under sell the national brands by a large margin. Your only concern is the quality and balance of the local feed.

Adding scratch, in most cases, lowers the average protein. Most scratch is only 10% protein and is lacking in many minerals, calcium and other essential ingredients. Used sparingly, there's nothing wrong with scratch. Used in too high of ratios to a balanced feed can cause dietary and egg laying issues.

6. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Hi,
    Yes, it does. I do also buy a bag of wild bird seed(that has BOSS in it) each week and mix another 5 lbs of sunflower seeds in that. This is what they get in the compost pile to encourage turning.
    I also boil and crush any eggs that are not fit for human consumption and feed them back to the chickens.

7. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Thanks Freds Hens...I add about 10% scratch to the feed...

So far in two years I have had no laying issues other than a couple of fart eggs and a few misshapen or soft eggs.
    I think I may try it and see how my chickens do on it....I have to at the cost difference...

8. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    You will never raise the protein % of 16% feed with 15% protein BOSS. Yes, BOSS is higher in protein than corn, oats or wheat, but it is not high protein.

1 person likes this.
  9. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Yeah, the BOSS I add for shiny feathers...works well.I am happy with layers getting 16 % protein....I get lots of eggs and no problems molting or anything....

10. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    Math is hard!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by