Feed for two 9 week old vs. year old hens

lifespassion

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 17, 2010
I was just given two 9 week old Americauna hens that are in with my five year old hens. The older hens are on layer feed, and I've read that the younger ones shouldn't be eating that. Some say they will be fine, some say it causes liver damage. Should I buy grower and mix with the layer feed and offer oyster shells to the older girls? Another thing I read was to find an all purpose food (not grower, layer, etc) but I don't seem to find any of that in our area. Would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!

I have three Buff Orps, two black Australorps and now two Americauna little girls!

They should be on grower, but they will probably be fine. Your older hens aren't bothering them? Honestly my suggestion would be to separate them from the others until they are mature.

I only have a small coop and have no where to keep them separate. So far, they seem fine ~ I let the older girls out when I get home, so they can free range while keeping the younger ones in the coop and run till bedtime. I'm keeping an eye on them for feather picking or general bullying!

Do not give the little ones layer food. They should be on chick grower/ finisher ration.

Per TSC website:
Chicks, because they’re babies, need different kinds of food from adult birds. Commercial feed companies formulate chick starter feed with more of the protein that these babies need — 16 to 22 percent. They can transition to adult feed at about 16 weeks.
For feed, start chicks on a 20% protein (24% protein for broilers) starter ration. At 8-10 weeks old, switch chicks to 18-19% chick grower.

Never give chicks adult feed. The minerals in it, especially calcium, which is important for laying hens, can severely damage a chick’s kidneys.

This is what you need:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/livest...oultry-grower-finisher-15-feed-50-lb--5078171

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom