Feed Freshness question

LoneCowboy

Songster
12 Years
Aug 26, 2007
Longmont, CO
Every book I read says don't buy anymore food than you can use in 3 weeks. That it loses freshness and nutrition.

Well, I bought some feed last month from the feed store. I use Purina Layena. It was a brand new shipment, cuz I had to go back after the truck came at noon.

I looked at the date stamp on the bag where they sew it closed, and it said Jan 2007. It was a whole year old! Doesn't it lose it's freshness in that year? Why do I have to worry about not buying more than I can use in 3 weeks, if they are going to sell year old food?

I was told that feed is like a loaf of bread. It either looses its freshness or molds. Sometimes those mold spors are not very visable to us. It can cause botulisium (I am a bad speller)

yeah, and even if it's been stored well and not getting moldy, the vitamin content declines over time as fats get rancid etcetera. Also I dunno about old chicken feed but I can tell you that old pellet-type horse feed gets extra dusty as it physically falls apart.

If it were me I'd take it back to the store and say Hey.

Good luck to you,

Pat

It may not be as old as you think.

When I got a bag of Layena a while ago, I thought it was a year old too, but apparently the dates aren't what they seem. I called Purina just to make sure, and it turned out that they have a strange way of writing the dates. Unfortunately I can't remember how to read it, so you might want to try calling them to find out. I think different companies have different ways of doing it too.

Anyway, the feed turned out to be a month old, which is still kind of old.:|

Back
Top Bottom