"Feed Grade" DE?

Hi, I'm new to raising chickens or raising anything but children, but I don't understand what is the DE used for?

Thank you very much, I guess I had better get some of that then. My chickens are 3 months old and are in a temporary pen, while I build the permanent coop and run. They have been doing fine but I think they are getting on each others nerves. I exspect to have them in their coop/run in two days. I guess I had better get some of this DE before I put then in there. Do I need to apply the DE every so often? How much would I need to apply to an 8 X 12 run and 4 X 4 coop? The run is just dirt, is it better to have sand or pea gravel or something else. All they've ever know is dirt.

My girls currently have dirt and they like it. I'm going to use sand in the walk in run so it's easy to clean by using a pooper scooper (think cat box). I'd sprinkle two cups in a run that size but others may have a different opinion.

The run is just dirt, is it better to have sand or pea gravel or something else. All they've ever know is dirt.

I like sand, pea gravel and dirt topped with pine shavings if the run has a roof. If not, forget the pine shavings. They love to dust bath in the dirt, and if you have sprinkled
DE on the dirt then when they take a dust bath they will de-mite themselves.

Do I need to apply the DE every so often? How much would I need to apply to an 8 X 12 run and 4 X 4 coop?

Read this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1560-Food_Grade_DE

Back
Top Bottom