Feed harmful for roosters

daddy_roo

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 6, 2011
Kentucky
I was looking at getting some of the laying hen feed. If my roosters eat this is it going to hurt them or effect the egg fertilization later on?
idunno.gif

Of course not roosters can and do eat layer feed in 99% of all mixed flocks. Imagine hhow hard it would be to seperate the roosters come feeding time. Don't worry just feed it they will be fine.

OK thanks I just wondered about it. I asked a man at tractor suply co, and he said "Oh of course not." But this same man has led me wrong before, so I figured it would be an aporopriate question for on here... lol:plbb

There is no practical way for us to feed a rooster separately from the hens. The adults can handle the extra calcium OK anyway.

Something to consider that might make you feel better. It is not the percentage of calcium in the feed that causes the problems with growing chicks, it is the total amount of calcium they eat. A rooster or a hen not laying will not eat nearly as much feed as a hen laying an egg every day, so they don't eat as much total volume of calcium.

Instead of feeding Layer, some people feed Grower or Flock Raiser and offer oyster shell on the side. That way the ones that need the calcium for egg shells can get it and the others don't eat enough to matter. I do this when I have a mixed age flock with some growing chicks mixed in. But for an all adult flock, it is not really necessary.

Back
Top Bottom