Feed help needed!!!

I hope to get a feeder made like that. A friend of mine with tools and the know how is going to make me one (eventually).

I hope to get a feeder made like that. A friend of mine with tools and the know how is going to make me one (eventually).

All you need is a handsaw to cut the street elbow. The bucket hole can be cut with a razor knife.

When I made the rooster bucket I was showing my cousin how I made them and done it with hand tools only. Took about 15 minutes. If I woulda used power tools and a hole saw It might take 2 or 3 minutes.

Since you stat you have a mixed flock (I'm taking that as AGE not BREED) here's my personal plan, as I'm in the same boat as a newbie, but I research and read all the time:

1) All flock pellets; everyone can eat it, roosters too.
2) Small buckets (16oz plastic coke bottles work too! Just cut out the upper part with scissors) of grit and oyster shell, with tiny holes in the bottom so moisture can escape. You don't need a lot and you can add more as needed. The chickens know when they need both of these; see link for great setup and info for you.
GC-Raptor's OS and Grit setup

3) Your leghorn is an egg layer, so grower feed is not the way to go. Use with all flock and oyster shell on the side as mentioned.
4) Enjoy the feathered friends.

Since you stat you have a mixed flock (I'm taking that as AGE not BREED) here's my personal plan, as I'm in the same boat as a newbie, but I research and read all the time.

Mixed breeds and ages. The 4ish monthers are different breeds some of the birds in the flock are a few weeks younger, as they came from different places.

Leghorns (only one is 4 months, others about a few weeks behind her)

BLRWs

Silkies

Sapphire Splash

Dominiques

Americauna

I have 4 that are 4 weeks that are separate and will integrate in a few weeks.

They are fed separately and are not penned near the main flock while quarantined before exposure to each other.

Back
Top Bottom