Feed help needed!!!

Molly Mojo

Songster
Jun 15, 2020
Ok, all chicks have been on Purina start & grow medicated since I got them.

Main flock is mixed. This flock are about 4 months (give or take). One is a Silkie rooster.
All the others are hens and are of different breeds.

My oldest leghorn is getting close to becoming a layer and I want to transition to grower feed (I think). I’m down near the bottom of my last bag of medicated starter feed.

I plan on having 2 buckets out that have oyster shells and one with grit.

Will chickens know they need to eat oyster shells? Do the ones not laying just not eat it?

I’m trying to do a pickup order from tractor supply, but need a bit of help.

I have a limited income and would rather get experienced input, than personal trial and error.

You can scatter grit and oyster shells in the run or you can offer it in buckets, the chickens that don't need it don't normally eat it, so you shouldn't go through it too quickly unless they scrape it out of the bucket and scatter it on the ground (which they might do).

I’m getting 2 of the small metal ones that are 5.5 qt size.

was thinking of howIcankeep them from getting tipped over.

Do you think screwing the bottom directly into a heavy wood plank would work?

I put a wider base on mine. Also found a funnel that fits on the top. Keeps the birds from trying to get on it, most of the time that is why they tip IMHO.

I put a wider base on mine. Also found a funnel that fits on the top. Keeps the birds from trying to get on it, most of the time that is why they tip IMHO.

Would you mind posting a pic?

I’m learning that my great ideas sometimes don’t quite work like I hoped!

Okay maybe the little buckets aren’t a good idea. Ugh.
One time I took an old plastic milk jug, cut out one side (left the top/bottom and other side) and hung that for feed. Worked well as it kept the food dry, they could easily eat out of it and because it was hanging it didn't get knocked over.

My go to feeder setup right now is the DIY 5 gallon bucket no waste feeder.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...lon-25-feed-bucket-feeder-for-about-3.834227/

The first one I used 3 inch street elbows, the ISA brown hens eat out of it just fine. When I got my rhode island red roo his comb is too big to fit in it and he's so much taller than the hens their bucket is too low. Now he has his own feeder with a 4 inch elbow thats set up for his height.

Back
Top Bottom