Feed- How old is too old?

yakitori

Crowing
Jun 22, 2020
New York
I’ve been trying to refill on my game bird feed since I’m running verrrrry low. I’ve been to 3 TSCs so far, My local one is out of game bird feed and 24% starter, the next one has purina’s 40lb milled in early september, and the other one has purina 10lb bags dating back to... :eek:april.

Given how far I will have to go for the next store with the feed in stock, do you guys think there will be any detriment of purchasing the September milled feed? I’m raising 7 3 week old quail chicks and don’t want them to be malnutritioned or stunted by bad feed :/

Of those choices, I would get the bag milled in September. And either freeze half or three quarters of it or ask the closest place to order feed. It is likely to cost more to drive to the fourth closest store than to replace what is left of the 40 lb bag when the fresh feed comes in.

The fresher the better but three months through cool to cold weather isn't too bad. The bigger problem, if you have to store it in a warm place, is 7 chicks won't eat 40 pounds very fast.

Nine months through the summer - I would go further (call first and ask them to check the milling date).

Of those choices, I would get the bag milled in September. And either freeze half or three quarters of it or ask the closest place to order feed. It is likely to cost more to drive to the fourth closest store than to replace what is left of the 40 lb bag when the fresh feed comes in.

The fresher the better but three months through cool to cold weather isn't too bad. The bigger problem, if you have to store it in a warm place, is 7 chicks won't eat 40 pounds very fast.

Nine months through the summer - I would go further (call first and ask them to check the milling date).
Woah, good point on the gas cost, I hadn’t even thought of that. All three stores were supposed to have the feed in stock, but lo and behold, two of them just happen to have sold out the moment I step into the store :/

September milled feed it is 😅 hopefully it’s still there.

Have you tried finding a local feed store? Usually better quality for less cost. You could use a regular chick starter. I try not to use or buy anything over 60 days preferably 30.
I think I need 30% protein for quail, not absolutely sure on that, but that’s what I’ve been reading, haha.

I know there’s a “local store” about 30 miles away that I’ve been meaning to visit for months 😭

I think I need 30% protein for quail, not absolutely sure on that, but that’s what I’ve been reading, haha.

I know there’s a “local store” about 30 miles away that I’ve been meaning to visit for months 😭
25%-30% is ideal for the first 6-10 weeks. It’s not going to have a serious impact on the overall growth of your birds if you pick up a bag of chick start. If you are after the fastest growth for butching ok fine. So what if the chick takes 10 weeks to hit max weight instead of 8 weeks most people wouldn’t notice a difference.

25%-30% is ideal for the first 6-10 weeks. It’s not going to have a serious impact on the overall growth of your birds if you pick up a bag of chick start. If you are after the fastest growth for butching ok fine. So what if the chick takes 10 weeks to hit max weight instead of 8 weeks most people wouldn’t notice a difference.
ah i see, and the rest of the formula would be the same?

Should be fine with September dates. Definitely not April. I had a couple instances last year with semi old feed (over 2 months on the mill date). I order organic feed from Chewy.com I explained the issue to them and they sent out fresh feed FREE the next day. Might be an option for you to have it delivered instead!

Back
Top Bottom